
~Sorry...no pictures...but I have 2 "fall-back" recipes using chicken that have become true family favorites and today will share the 'recipes'. I'm so sorry, but I am one of those people who rarely follow a recipe...and most often simply adapt it to what I have on hand and my families preferences.....so without further ado....Our standard favorite "Brown Sugar Chicken". I adapted this from Stephanie's website crockpot365.blogspot.com. Here are 2 ways I've prepared this for my family.
First, I've used everything from boneless chicken breasts to bone-in legs/thighs...doesn't matter, just use what you like. I prefer the bone-in because of the rich taste it adds and the nutritional value of the bonebroth. Just put your chicken in the crockpot on high (I always put it on high to get it started) then add lots of chopped garlic and salt/pepper (if I have it, I drizzle a little sesame oil over the chicken and garlic) then stir up in a bowl approx. 1 cup soda pop (I've used everything from sprite, gingerale or pepsi, doesn't seem to affect the taste) 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1/2 cup or more of soy sauce and 1 cup brown sugar...mix it all together and pour over chicken. Turn crockpot on low and cook 5-6 hours. If you use the bone-in chicken...I like to take it off the bone and use a little cornstarch to thicken the sauce. I serve this with jasmine rice and steamed or stirfried cabbage/carrots/onions. That's it! Now, I've also made this in the pressure cooker, putting a rack on top of my chicken and steaming the veggies....this worked VERY well! Hope that is clear...like I said, I tend to not measure and just throw things together. LOL
Our new favorite chicken recipe was done on the stove...Orange Chicken. I took parts of many recipes that I've read and used what I had to make this delicious dish. Again...I served this with jasmine rice and steamed broccoli. Ok....here is what I did:
Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks, season with seasoned salt and garlic powder and brown in butter/olive oil blend....brown well, then turn and brown on all sides. (this doesn't take long) Take chicken out and place on plate.....then add 1 cup water and scrape up all the brown bits, deglazing the pan...add lots of chopped garlic and saute, then add 3 tablespoons of unsweetened orange juice concentrate, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup soy sauce....stir until well mixed, adding chicken back in and adding a little water as needed, simmer until chicken is very tender. (this all took about 1/2 hour) That's it! This was a huge hit...especially with my younger children.
~I tend to make a lot with chicken and venison, because that is what I have...we also eat at least one meatless meal a week...along with lots of eggs, yogurt and cheese for protein along with our kefire smoothies.
A local grocery store had a sale last week on bone-in chicken leg quarters, a 10 lb bag for only 39 CENTS a pound! Amazing price! So....I got 40 pounds! (thanks to my dad and step-mom storing 2 bags for me in their freezer) For a while, I determined that we wouldn't eat anything that wasn't organic and all natural, but unfortunately, our finances for people would not allow that...and I now have peace that God is in control of our health...as He is in everything. And, that eating healthy, cooking from scratch and not following the 'standard American diet' (or SAD) is much better for us, even if not everything is organic.
Have a blessed day! ~Sue~
2 comments:
very good can't wait to make. I used alot of the same ingred. to make my teriyaki chicken...it was a hit..I would have liked the sauce little thicker and a little sweeter...So I will try these out.
Thank you,
Jolyn
Haha, what a clever title! That made me smile=)
Post a Comment