Thursday, January 13, 2011

One Small Change...

I am joining in with the folks over at One Small Change again. I know it has been a while...and many changes have been occuring in our family...but I wanted to mention one small change we're doing for 'winter'.

We've been homeschooling for 12 years now, with another 11 to go and over the years my husband's job situation has changed many times, and the Lord has taught me to trust in Him...and to be prepared and a good steward of what He has given us...so, all of this to say our change is....'purging'....scaling down, getting rid of excess.

We have been going thru the house...filling up boxes of books to donate, recycling books/magazines...donating clothing and household items that haven't been used and finding creative ways to store what we do use and have it accessible. This has been so freeing, on the one hand and opened up so much space. But, I also have the dilemna of wanting to save certain books and curriculum that we've collected to use in the future with my youngest two children. It is very hard, at and 9 to know what curriculum will work with them best in middle school or highschool and yet...I already own it, and want to use it with them. Problem is how much do I keep and where do I store it?

But I feel like I am being a much better steward by donating our excess to people who could use it....to better utilizing our space to make it more open and hospitable....what would be one small change that you could do in your lives? ~Sue~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
I got an extra copy today of Urban Farm. If you will email me your adress I will happy to drop it in the mail to you. I think you will love it. Since you like Hobby,Home and Farm.
Blessings,
Elizabeth

Jackie said...

Hi Sue,My one small change was to stop using a microwave. My feeling is that it is not the healthiest way to prepare food, and if it is bad for those who wear pacemakers,it's bad for me on a daily basis. I stopped the third week of November. At first by habit, I'd start to reheat my tea or coffee and realize ..no zapper on my now uncluttered cabinet corner. I bought 2 very small(4 cup) stainless steel pots with lids and a steamer that fits over pots. Now I can reheat or steam in a minute or so. I love it!It's the way I cooked for 25 years or so before I got my 1st microwave, so I knew how already,lol!

Dayna said...

We'll be purging, as well, over the coming weeks. After 2 years away from our household goods, there's a lot that will need to go. Some things we'll definitely keep, but I know that there are things that we don't need anymore. I'm even considering getting rid of some of my beloved serving dishes. (Ouch!)