Wednesday, August 4, 2010

One small change....Preserving the Harvest!

Our 'one small change' for July and August (and will probably be doing it in September and October, too) is preserving the harvest. We are regulars at our local farmer's market. We've put up strawberry jam, canned some homemade barbeque sauce and have now made peach jam. We were given the gift of a big bag of peaches on Monday and yesterday, canned 15 jars of peach jam. Oh, the house smelled so good!
I will calling around to different farms and seeing if I could get bushels of "seconds" of peaches and tomatoes to can and dehydrate. We're also shredding and freezing zucchini in flat freezer bags to pull out for zucchini bread/muffins this winter. Cutting and freezing corn off of the cob. Today, I am going to try a small batch of pickles. I would like to ferment them, but I had heard that these need refrigeration and I am looking to store in the pantry to save room. I've never made pickles before, so I am praying they turn out.

Another change I would like to do is 'pressure can' rather than freeze broth, and cooked beans. Our freezer room is at a premium as we've been rather cutting down on the amount of meat that we are eating and preparing for some lean times ahead. Bone broths are so very healthy that I like to have a lot of them on hand, but don't always have the room to store them.

So many changes going on at our home! From gardening, to clotheslines, canning & preserving...to even reading aloud more and playing more games. We'll be working outside more to gather and organize kindling and firewood for this winter as well as harvesting the garden. I'd like to even try my hand at gathering some free crabapples from a friend and making crabapple jelly. Just trying to spend more time together as a family...building family time & memories and working together for the good of our family. ~Sue~

What is one small change you'll be doing this summer?

1 comment:

Viv said...

I have to ask, did any of those pots come in handy for the canning? I will probably call you about the shredding and freezing of zucchini. I've got bunches to deal with, and the last time I tried freezing, it didn't go well, so I need your secrets.