Ah, this holiday celebrating romance is here yet again! Though at our home, aside from Mum and Dad's dinner date, and a party for Sara and I earlier in the day, we don't really make a big deal about it but it is still one of my favorite holidays. :) Mrs. Gardner-I'm really in the mood to hear Frank Sinatra sing My Funny Valentine. :)
Heart shaped cookies, valentines, roses and chocolates abound amidst this special day dedicated to letting the ones you love know just how special they are. Couples will share special glances, 'dates,' and heartfelt sentiments in beautiful cards; single women, young and old will experience bittersweet emotions as they look to the future of when the man the Lord already has chosen for them will come into their life. Only being sixteen going on seventeen and having some years to 'wait' for the Lord to bring my husband into my life, I have not experienced many of the emotions and struggles older singles have gone through. I'm not going to act like a Pharisee and think I won't go through any of the struggles singles have gone through just because (fill in the blank)...I'm sure I will and already one or two insecurities surrounding my getting married have arisen in my heart. Knowing that I only have one more year of schooling at home also causes me to think of the future a little more frequently now, though. Certain insecurities like 'I have to be pretty and thinner' or 'I have to get over this heart issue, that sin issue, etc' before I can get married. Through the blessed process of growth that will not cease until the day we die, I've realized getting married and yes, having a heart's desire fulfilled is not the main thing. I believe yes, the Lord gave us these desires, but we are to strive to be fulfilled and content through the Lord and His love. Click here to listen to one of my new favorite songs that's recently encouraged me pertaining to said topic...
I believe we were all put on this earth to serve God in whatever capacity He wills for us whether we're 16 going on 17 or 29 going on 30 and still unmarried. In our season of singleness, in school or not, I believe we are to immerse ourselves in the Lord and lead a Lord-led productive life from the capacity of our home until the Lord brings our husband into our life. I'm not saying it's a sin to work outside the home in order to 'save up' for the future or go to college....in fact, if you strongly feel the Lord's leading, who am I to say it's a sin if you aren't a ''stay at home daughter''? There are many seasons of life that are difficult and hard to go through, and the season of singleness (all women have one!) is most certainly one of them but the Lord is the same then as in the joyful seasons of life like becoming engaged, planning a wedding, and then learning you'll be a mother. His promises are faithful! Sarah waited for literally decades to give her husband a child and hold him in her arms and did struggle through her waiting season but then it was a testimony to the Lord when she held her child in her arms joyfully after so many hard years of waiting. It will be the same one day when we are literally swept off our feet by our husband and the Lord's promise to us that He will give us the desires of our heart, is fulfilled.
In conclusion....
So on this Valentines day, 2010 I encourage you to joyfully wait for the Lord, be encouraged and remember that the Lord's love never fails.
**When I say these things, I realize that many of you have probably heard it many times over and may be thinking, 'sure, I know it's all true but it doesn't make it any easier to wait!' I don't claim to know how you are dealing with your season of singleness and what you're struggling with (and please know I'm not judging you if you are) but I firmly believe in encouraging others in their struggles to lift their eyes ever upwards and rest in the Lord's love even when it's difficult.**
4 comments:
What a gift God has given u in writing. how beautiful are ur words and ur heart. I know God has that someone just for u and boy will he ever have to be a special person...to ever recieve a wife like u. All my love to u. c u in 5 days...Looking forward to listening to some piano playing from u....
Jolyn
Well written as always, Meghan. I was 25 before I got married. I was fine with my life, but I can remember one married woman in particular that would make me feel awful about it. She would tell me to sit at the children's table since I was still single. Constantly, she would make rude remarks...eventually it became known that she wasn't a happily married woman. As you have pointed out so well, contentment is in our life with Christ, not the status of whether we are married or not or what other people think our lives should be like --- it is all well in God's time. I am impressed and blessed with how advanced you are in your walk with the Lord. God bless you, Meghan! Love, Mrs. H
Great post, Meghan, and so timely, too! I've been having struggles of late about this on a "ligher level" (like you, I'm not an older single!) Thanks so much for these encouraging words...I love you and hope to see you soon!=)
Thank you so much for the post, Meghan! I just want to encourage you be saying how much I have seen growth in you lately in this certain area! The Lord is truly faithful and He will continue to prepare you for that "special someone" He is prepring for you!
Post a Comment