Saturday, February 20, 2010

Learning to knit...

Tonight, while my little ones soaked in warm tubs....and hubby was here to lend a hand, I decided that I was going to try to learn to knit. Now, I know how to crochet and love the feel of a wooden hook and the yarn in my hands...but, I am of the humble opinion that knitting is so much harder and slower than crocheting!
It took me forever to get the hang of casting on....and after that, making the stitches wasn't too hard, simply switching from one needle to the other...but, boy, is it slow going! I am determined to master this, though....knitting uses 3 times less yarn than crocheting and I have 2 scarves that I have 'special' yarn I want to use and want to make the most of it..and I do like the look of a knitted scarf....I'm just using leftover yarn to make a starter scarf right now...in between crocheting my other projects! LOL I love having something in my hands while talking with the kids, or homeschooling my little ones (who require me, for the most part, to sit at the table with them while they do their work ) or watching a movie...it is very soothing to me (except learning this, right now!), and I just got done reading an article about keeping your brain "exercised"...and knitting as well as crocheting work both sides of your brain at the same time....I figure, the older I get, the more help I can use! LOL Off to knit a few more rows while waiting for my daughters to come home from a church game night. Any knitters out there...any tips for a beginner?! ~Sue~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mrs Gorecki, that is SO exciting that you are learning to knit!! Yay!=D
As I am a new knitter myself (lacking in advanced "knit wit";)the only advice that I can humble offer is- stick with it!
I can't tell you how frustrated I was when I first started knitting, and it took me a full year to get used to the feel and adjust my tension and all that.
But......
Once you get the hang of it, knitting is so much fun!! So don't give up- it'll get better!=D