Thursday, November 12, 2009

Joyful, Grateful, Contentment!

This is the quote that I've been reading all day on my kitchen windowsill...the same kitchen that I have been very discontented with ever since we moved into this house. It is small....it is crowded with 2 people in it...there is no table, and my children cannot be in it with me all at the same time to work together...I've been dreaming of knocking down a wall. Of course, we do not have the money for that type of renovation....nor will we in the foreseeable future. We have been having many discussions lately about finances...or lack of them. My husband's union contract is in negotiations...and it looks like we stand to lose quite a bit of income...if he still has a job. We are trying desperately not to use any credit cards...in spite of car repairs on 2 cars...the washer and dryer breaking at the same time (I'm so proud of Ron for fixing them!) and we haven't, but we have so many birthdays and now Christmas coming...not to mention high winter gas bills...even things like one child needed shoes and a winter coat...ok, have you priced NEW winter coats?! We did last night....and were horrified! LOL I guess we haven't bought new in a very long time....next week, we're off to the thrift store...and if there isn't something that she doesn't exactly love....oh, well....she'll still be warm! I have been so incredibly fatigued lately...especially this week, that it took me awhile today to see what God has been trying to show me....first, we found out that we have a CREDIT on our gas bill of a significant amount! Praise God! Amazingly...about the amount of a cold weather gas bill! Then...I got an email saying that Ronnie had earned enough in fundraising to cover his CubScout $80 fee....and then some for winter activities! Again....Praise God! But it is what happened next that blew me away!
Yes....this is a picture of water, from my kitchen sink....clean, abundant water....even filtered! I'll tell you why.

A good friend of mine and her family are living in Mozambique , Africa. Well....Dayna posted some pictures of their recent trip to the Gaza province. People...there are about 4,000 people living in this particular village....with the average family size of 7 people....larger than the average family here! The pictures of the huts...yes, I said huts....are so small! I cannot even imagine how their daily lives are! She showed pictures of how the women and children get the water needed for their families ever day....only 100 liters per family, too. These women pumped water into very large containers...and then the women AND CHILDREN carried them on their heads back to the village. These women were SMILING...the children were SMILING....when our friends arrived, a bunch of women greeted them singing PRAISE SONGS! They were JOYFUL! (I am shaking my head at myself while I'm typing this)....Dayna also showed how they grind grain....I had to laugh as she directed this particular picture to those of her friends who grind grain and bake...well, my electric grain mill is a miracle, compared to this! I don't know if I would bother if I had to do it that way...it looked like a large mortal and pestle....yet, again....if that is all I had to eat...I wouldn't have a choice. She showed children working so hard, carrying heavy things, working right along side their mothers....and she gave a timely reminder...."Mothers...stop what you are doing, ask your children to clean up their things and then to help you with dinner.".....how many times do our children complain?! I think my children are pretty good in this area, most of the time....until I see this. And they are GRATEFUL to be able to work for their daily needs!

Thank you, Dayna...for the timely reminders!!! Thank you, Lord, for your provision! Thank you for opening my eyes lately to....covetness....self-pity....discontent....and a lack of hard work to make us all grateful! You created us to work....6 days....and to be GRATEFUL! I pray that the Lord helps me be content and grateful...and to joyfully go about my tasks....praising Him, and working hard for Him....joyfully!!!
~Sue~

3 comments:

A Joyful Chaos said...

What a great post. So thought provoking and true. Thanks for sharing.

Michaela said...

Random comment: The water picture is BEAUTIFUL!! Did you use Sara's super duper camera to capture all those droplets? And if it was your camera, then I am EXTREMELY impressed!!!=)
See you Monday, Lord willing!

Joy said...

You blessed me so with this blog post. I've been trying to learn to be content and have been feeling bad, too. Such depression and it's a thing I'm not too familiar with, but am starting to be much to my chagrin.
Anyway, I want to be thankful and joyful and a good daughter to the King, so thanks for the encouragement.
BTW I got your blog post url from a google alert for "Joyful".
Thanks again!
Joyfully,
Joy