Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hickory Apple Festival...

It didn't rain today!!! Praise God for sunshine!!! Today, since it was really the last day of Ron's vacation, we headed out to Hickory, Pa. for the Hickory Apple Festival....it was so much fun! We were just so happy to do something as a family, without rain! LOL Someone may be wondering why I have a picture of a schoolbus...well, this was our 'shuttle' from the field where we parked, down to the town of Hickory...and the only time my children have ridden a schoolbus! I had to preserve it to memory! Seriously, we were very grateful to have the free shuttle...the town was jammed with people, no where to park...it was a real convenience to us to be able to park and ride.
Ronnie and Anna enjoyed the petting zoo...the usual, sheep, goats, rabbits and even baby piglets!

This was cool...a man had about half a dozen birds...peregrine falcons, hawks and this guy...a red tailed hawk. Since we see them all the time around here, but never close up, this was really neat to see.

Ronnie liked this display of arrowheads...
And, of course...APPLES! Look at her face...candy apples and caramel apples were enjoyed...

(This one was hard to bite!) Apple pie and apple crisp were sampled by the Gorecki family as well...of course, I told Ron to buy me a bag of apples and I'd make him a whole pie...but it was a really worthy fundraiser for the local volunteer fire department, so we didn't mind the prices.
It is always so nice to be able to do anything with Ron...with his crazy schedule, doing anything as a family is always the nicest memories for us!
All the kids had a good time....look how crowded it was! This is a much anticipated, local event!
~Seems the whole town, and all the little towns on the way into Hickory pick the weekend of the apple festival to have garage/yard sales....we must have passed 50 of them! On the way home, we did stop at one that looked promising...and it paid off! Meghan got a hard cover edition of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook...Sara got a lamp for her room, but Ronnie and especially Anna really were lucky...


Ronnie got a "Meet the Robinsons" science kit..complete with microscope, slides and testtubes...he came home and did experiments until it was time for dinner.
Little Miss Anna....she got a real "my first" Singer sewing machine! It really works! It is safe for little fingers, and she is so excited....first thing she said is she wants to sew a quilt for her dolls...here she is practicing. She also got a bike. The bike she has, has hard plastic wheels, and no brakes...we took it on the trail and she hated riding it. This bike, although not as 'pretty', has real tires with excellent tread, BRAKES ( I was worried about that!), and best of all...it has a seat on the back for her to give rides to her dolls and stuffed animals. She was so excited! We're going to get her a basket for the front and a bell...and she'll be ready to roll! It was a fun day!
After a healthy dinner of homemade chicken fingers and 'smashed' cauliflower...Anna helped me make some chocolate chip cookies....a treat after the healthy dinner! LOL

I thought I would leave you all with some warm, sweet, gooey images!
With a glass of cold milk....a perfect ending to a perfect day! Hope you all have a special, blessed Sabbath tomorrow! ~Sue~

3 comments:

Ella said...

I am interested to see how that lamp fits in the room =)

And I would also like to know....did Meghan bypass the sheep? =)

Michaela said...

Haha- Gabrielle, I was wondering the same thing!!=D
So did you or did you not, Meghan? =P hehe

Anonymous said...

Hehe, you two! :) I stood a safe ten feet away from the petting zoo pen and just watched Ronnie and Anna. :)

So there! :-P LOL