Friday, October 2, 2009

Vacation memories...Lake Chautauqua

Well...we're home. It is bittersweet....we all loved our vacation at the lake so much! But...there is no place like home! (especially now, as the Penguin's hockey game is on tv right now!) We had such a wonderful time on vacation...even though it was COLD and RAINY....we had 1 day of no rain...and it was still cold, overcast and windy....but it was so good to get away! My parents came up for a few days...bringing goodies! They love to spoil my kids (especially their Buppy!) and we had tons of lunchmeat, white bread and buns, rootbeer, icecream, and tons of candy....all the things they rarely get here! LOL We will be detoxing for weeks! This is the view from our window...anywhere you sit in the livingroom or eating area...this is what you see....even cloudy or raining, the view of the lake was so peaceful and beautiful!
The kids had a tire swing and a wooden swing to play on (in between raindrops) while they watched the ducks

Our little fishermen...they were so excited to go fishing! We were prepared for the weather (thanks to advanced weather forcasting online!) so we had warm raincoats, and boots...


We bought 2 'punching balls' at Wal-mart while buying a few groceries...they were a hit! We all had so much fun with them...at one point we broke into 2 teams and were hitting it back and forth across the livingroom...ok, not exactly advance rocket science, but boy, did we have fun!
My step-dad, Ronnie, Meghan and my mom
We were able to have lunch at this resteraunt that we visited 4 years ago when we were here...and it was every bit as good as we remembered!
Wish I was able to get a better picture of this mexican mural....it was beautiful...and the food was excellent!

Because the docks were already taken in, we walked down a little lane and fished off of a little wooden bridge...this is where they were able to catch a few perch...everything they caught was too small to eat, but we're hoping next year, to catch some big ones...Ronnie wants to catch a pike really badly!
I really loved spending time with everyone...and yes, I fished, too! This is the one that Anna and I caught with her own fishing rod...she was so proud!
This is Anna with the first fish she ever caught...Lake Chautauqua is also where Ronnie and the girls caught their first fish as well....good memories, here!
Since it rained most of the time, we got creative inside. One day, Anna made lunch for everyone "all by herself"! She patiently made pizza bagels for everyone, and was so proud!
In between the rain, I thoroughly enjoyed long strolls with my beautiful daughters...while the little ones fished with dad....it was so beautiful there, and peaceful....we talked about the future, our plans...and what we can change when we get home, to make our lives more like they were at the lake.
We enjoyed lots of games...card games, Phase 10, and Ronnie now loves the game 'connect 4'! He's been playing it with everyone. (he beat me the past 4 games!)
We hadn't played the game "Set" for years, and when I found it in the cabinet, I took it up with us...Sara is the QUEEN of Set! We can't keep up with her! It sure sharpened our visual perception, though...and we will be playing it frequently again around here to keep up!

We did a few puzzles while we were gone. The 24 piece puzzles, Ronnie & Anna got the hang of quickly...so we moved on to the 100 piece puzzle that said for ages "5 and up"...well, this 100 piece puzzle was HARD! Took us forever to put it together...Ron finally finished it! Oh, how we laughed!
My mom and dad were NOT crazy about Set...they got the hang of it, but decided it was too much agrivation...they are 'card sharks' and taught us a few new card games. One was called "Pay Me"...that was a lot of fun!
Another favorite game for the little ones is Clue Jr. As the older girls love the origional Clue, when I found this at the thrift shop, I snagged it! We really want to play more games together, so it will be nice for 3 of us to play this at one end, and the older ones at the other end of the table playing the origional...that way we are all together, having fun, but the little ones can play, too.
Our last night at the Lake, last evening, it DIDN'T rain! We pulled out the telescope and looked at the moon and stars....we really think we saw Pluto! (complete with a moon on either side of it....it was a powerful telescope!)LOL I love the expression on Ronnie's face in this photo!
Looking at the moon...with the beautiful sunset behind them!
We had a great bonfire going....roasting marshmallows, making s'mores (yum!)..Sara and Anna were loving the marshmallows!
My mom and Meghan around the fire...
The Gorecki family...enjoying the bonfire...before the cold drove us inside!
~We also spent some time watching old movies, watching the "Mystery Woman" movies...great mysteries...and just talking and enjoying each other's company.
It was so nice to "re-connect" and relax! It was very interesting to us, with no internet, no phone, no obligations, no cable tv....made us all think differently. My quiet time was awesome....looking out at the lake, and looking around, counting my blessings. I was able to crochet 3 pairs of wool slippers, one wash cloth, play games with my family, get caught up with my poor neglected journal...it was wonderful!
~One thing our family decided to do, is to only access the internet once a day....so checking emails, once a day. Checking facebook, once a day. Checking blogs....once a day. Updating our blog...once a day....ONLY going on the computer once a day....so, if it is an emergency....CALL ME! LOL If I'm not busy with my family...then the machine will not pick up...or leave a message...I'll get back to you when it is not inconvenient for my family. I think it finally got thru my thick head...I am going to use technology....not let it control me! The internet is too tempting for me...I love to research...I love learning new things...I could research all day, storing information, printing out projects to do...but I will only have these children for such a short time, they deserve my attention...and when I am available, my family is content.
So...our family vacation was a great success! Relaxing, lots of memories made, lots of family time....and important lessons learned. Thank you, God! ~Sue~

5 comments:

Ella said...

Tell Anna good job on making her bagel pizzas!! I would have loved to have had one!

Thanks for posting pictures. I know what you mean about being home being bittersweet. I was, and it will still be the case, glad to get back home after being in Pittsburgh.....but it was sad to not be on vacation anymore

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time, Sue. The internet can be a BIG distraction. Wish we could all get together and play some board games. Steph

Michaela said...

AWESOME!!! What wonderful pictures and treasured memories! I'm glad you are all back too, even if it is hard to get back into the swing of things. =)

michaela said...

One more thing, did you bait the hooks, Mrs. Gorecki?? =)
Believe it or not,I couldn't bait my own hook for the longest time (quite squishy!!) but I finally did this past summer!! It's not that bad, surprisingly. =)

Morgan said...

I am sooo glad that you all had a fun family vacation...I know it's been a while since your last one! It looked like you all had a fun and relaxing time!