Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What is crochet?

I so love to crochet...so when I saw this article in Talking Crochet magazine, it so perfectly portrayed how I feel about it, I had to post it. Enjoy the article! ~Sue~


What Is Crochet?

click here for larger size

For those of us who love crochet, there are likely a variety of reasons why, but I'm sure the one common thread (pun intended) that ties them all together is the pure enjoyment and deep satisfaction it gives us. Crochet not only allows us to express our individual creativity, but we can share it with others through our handmade heartfelt gifts.

I was reminded of this recently when I came across a wonderful piece written by Jean Leinhauser, a leader in the needlecrafts publishing industry for many years and former editor and publisher of Crochet! magazine. Jean wrote the following editorial in the March 2004 issue of Crochet!, and I thought it would be a lovely way to end this issue. I think you'll agree that it strikes a true chord with anyone who appreciates the beautiful art of crochet.

The man seated next to me on the airport bus asked why I had come to Chicago. I told him I was going to a crochet conference. He looked rather perplexed, and then asked, "What is crochet, anyway?"

I said, "It's a method of forming knots with a hook and thread to create a fabric." He stared at me, so I added, "It's making doilies." He smiled and nodded, "Oh yes, my grandmother used to do that." I realized later that I had given him a pretty poor definition. Here's what I should have said:

Crochet is that skimpy little high-fashion dress prancing down the runway at a designer show. It's a warm hat and scarf in bright colors worn on a gray winter day or a soft, cuddly teddy bear clutched in a crying child's arms.

Crochet is a glittery shawl thrown over a shoulder to accent a little black cocktail dress or a sleek little evening purse encrusted with beads. Crochet is a fluffy blanket that welcomes a new baby to the world or a pair of socks with a zingy heel treatment for a teenager to wear with clogs. It's a Christmas stocking, a gift from one generation to another.

Crochet is magically creating something from nothing. It's the love one pair of hands gives to another.

It's probably a good thing I didn't say all this; he would not have understood. But if you are a crocheter, you understand.

Until next time,
Carol Alexander signature

Carol Alexander
editor, Crochet! magazine
Member, CGOA Board of Directors

3 comments:

Judy said...

Yep, I understand :O)
Love ya,
Judy

Patti said...

Would you believe I don't know how to crochet. It's something I've always wished I could do but have never learned. So, when I move to or visit Pittsburgh, perhaps you could try to teach me. I'm warning you, though...I have 10 thumbs!!

Blessings on your day.

Love,
Patti

Michaela said...

What is Crotchet?
I was asking the same question...

Haha! Don't worry, I'm just kidding Mrs. Gorecki! =)