Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I made 'Puto'!!! Filipino sweet rice cakes...

I first tried 'puto' at my friend, Judi's house....and these were delicious! Even better for me...they were gluten free. But, when I looked online how to make them, they called for a special steamer and cups...so I thought I would 'try' them in tassie pans and steam in my big all clad pan...and it worked! I was so excited! Recipe to follow!
Steaming in the pan with about 1 1/2 inches of water. (I put the lid on of course)


The finished 'puto'! My littles ones especially like these, as did my friend, Melanie, who's baby shower I took these to. They were so quick and easy, they will definitely be a staple around here!
~Sue's Puto Recipe~ (and how I improvised!)
2 cups sweet white rice flour 1 TBlSp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar pinch of salt
2 cups coconut milk 2-4 tblsp water
1 tblsp vanilla
~Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, mix thoroughly. Spray tassie pans (or mini muffin pans), fill each 2/3 full, then put pan in boiling water in large pan, put lid on and steam for 8 minutes. Be careful getting it out...it was tricky. (and hot) LOL turn out to cooling rack. and that is it! Very simple, but so good...best served warm or at room temperature. Enjoy! ~Sue~


2 comments:

Dayna said...

Sue! I have to tell you that just today a friend told me where the health food store is located! There's even gluten-free stuff. (Who knows? Maybe I'll make that change...)

Jenn said...

I know this post was almost a year ago but congratulations on this delicious accomplishment! I came across your site because I'm attempting to make a batch of puto for the first time also. You have definitely motivated me to try it. :)