Monday, August 31, 2009

Preserving the Harvest..

I love preserving for the winter time! But...I don't want to even LOOK at another tomato for a while! LOL Our garden has done fairly well...what the deer haven't gotten to, anyway. We're already planning on expanding and PROTECTING our garden for next year...with the advise of my parents (my step-dad grew up on a farm) and the wonderful elderly man across the street. (who's garden is doing very, very well...and is protected from the cute deer!) Just a sample of pureed tomatoes...the rest are in the canner right now. Ended up with 7 quarts and 2 pints...not bad considering how much salsa I've made over the past couple days! We bought a big bushel of 'seconds' tomatoes from our favorite farmers market, and got over 60 cups of fresh salsa plus all the tomatoes.
Also (since it was so nice and cool today!) I made 20 quarts of turkey soup. We had lots of it for dinner and this is what is cooling so I can freeze it. Lentil soup and cheddar garlic biscuits tomorrow night! With a fresh salad....Yum!

Everything here came from our own garden. We haven't had an excess of zucchini, but we've had a lot so far. Our cucumbers didn't do too badly either...although I don't think I'll grow cauliflower again next year. We're cleaning out that bed, this week, and will be planting some lettuce for fall. Next year...we're moving the beds and expanding.



Have only managed to freeze 2 bags of corn. (We love eating it so much!), but tomorrow, we're getting 2 dozen ears, so I'll freeze a good bit of that. No more canning this week....


Ah....fresh salsa!!! One of our families very favorite things! This is just some of it. It tastes just as good when defrosted in the winter time. It does get a little watery, but I drain that off and use the liquid in black bean soup...adds a nice taste to it.
~So....that is some of what has been keeping us busy! My brother-in-law is getting married on Saturday, so lots of excitement here. We'll be busy baking cookies towards the end of the week for the wedding....then after the wedding, visiting with family who will be in from out of town...then we get back into schooling again on the 8th! Can't wait! This will be an interesting, fun year. Well...off to add more tomatoes to the canner..then baths for my little ones, then popcorn and a movie! Tomorrow....a visit with friends, farmers market, then freezing more corn....have a blessed evening! ~Sue~

1 comment:

Dayna said...

I am trying not to covet. There's wonderful produce here, I just have limited access to it for now.

Good job, Gorecki ladies!