Sigh....today, I made the 'executive' decision (as my daughter said) to quit buying Stevia to use for sweetening. It is just too expensive for our budget (which is tightening weekly, it seems)...so along with no stevia, I decided I cannot drink my coffee in the morning without sweetener, and can't use sugar (it aggravates my fibromyalgia), so we will be drinking hot tea with honey in the mornings. ($1.25 for honey and $1.95 for a big box of tea bags at Aldi's...very, frugal)
I know, why can' t I just drink my coffee without sweetener? Well...I think coffee is bitter and nasty without it. I do, however, have to have something hot in the mornings...and unfortunately, I need caffeine, too. LOL So, today, as I was going thru my freezers, fridge and pantry to see what I already had, and planning menus, I arrived at Aldi's with the intention of doing a very limited, frugal shopping trip.
I have to say, anyone wanting to save money and still eat healthy needs to find the nearest Aldi's!!! I know...it isn't organic, but the Lord knows I can't afford organic, and I trust Him for our health...so I am able to make healthy choices for our family by shopping there.
Also, since the cost of organic soaps is prohibitive as well, I've switched to good old Ivory soap! I use it to make laundry detergent, to bathe with and as hand soap.
One way that we've practiced creative frugality for years is to roast a whole chicken or a whole turkey and have many meals, many quarts of homemade broth...I even have a 23lb turkey defrosting now. (hubby thinks I'm crazy to make a whole turkey in August!)...but I can't wait!
I had a moment of feeling sorry for myself today when I decided not to buy stevia anymore...and planning meatless meals (while trying to balance protein), snacks for 4 children....and I just thought..."It's just too hard...I can't do this...I'll just go back to the way we lived before God convicted me to try to live more naturally and healthy"....oh, but it goes against everything I now know to be the way God wants us to live!!! But...after my 'pity party', I sat on the deck for a minute, prayed and just "listened"....and know that what He calls us to, He will equip us for...and my strength is not in my own efforts, but in His help and guidance....(deep breath)...ok, I CAN do this. But, only day by day....searching for His will and depending on His strength...for THAT particular day. I can do no less.
He also reminded me of His abundant provision for our family! Even recently, we were given bags of clothes from 2 different friends, whose children had outgrown them....in one was a winter coat, clothes and a warm bathrobe for Anna (which she needed), and in Ronnie's was again, a winter coat, flannel shirts and jeans..that fit! Again....God met all of our needs...He IS faithful to provide all that we need. We can trust Him.
So....when living "creatively frugal" is hard...and it will be hard sometimes, we can trust our heavenly Father to provide, guide and remind us of His love and provision for us...His promises are true! Praise God!!!! ~Sue~
5 comments:
I love drinking tea...but you all knew that already. I will remember to send y'all a box of "my" kind =)
So, is all coffee out? Or is Meghan still having hers?
You will be able to do it, Mrs. Gorecki--I know you will.
I was headed to bed, and I thought, I think I'll check blogger one more time before I turn in. I'm so thankful I did. This is just what I needed to hear. I've been struggling with this myself. It's very hard to be creatively frugal, especially when you think that you've got nowhere else to cut expenses.
What a great idea about switching to tea with honey, I have to agree with the coffee thing, I love the stuff but it has to have some sort of sweetner in it if I'm going to drink it. We drink a lot of tea around here, hot tea, cold tea, herbal teas, we love them all.
We also love aldi's. I just started making once a month trips there, (it's an hour away from us) and I pick up all of our canned goods, meats, and whatever else I need for the whole month. Then all I have to do is shop locally for our milk, and fresh veggies.
Thanks again for this, it blessed me greatly!
In His Grace,
sara
Sweet, precious friend! This post blessed and convicted me. In this strange new land, the Lord is showing me how spoiled and wasteful I've been. Eating healthy is a HUGE challenge here, and I can feel the physical effects already. Press on, my sister, as the Lord leads and encourages you in this wonderful calling of responsibility for your family's health and nutrition!
Thanks for this post - it's encouragement to read and apply to things in my daily life.
As you know, we have been down to 1 car for about 5 weeks now. Since my husband takes that one car to work, I'm pretty much homebound. Where I live, there are only 3 places within walking distance of my house...Dominos, The Pizza Factory, and a Chevron convenience store. I am learning the painful lesson that most of the things we do are not needs...but wants. Yes, I DO want to get out of the house a bit more, but the reality is, all the running around most of us do day in and day out really isn't essential. When push comes to shove, we really CAN cut back on things we never imagined cutting back on.
Love,
Patti
Post a Comment