Thursday, January 29, 2009

God's peace, preparedness...and the coming economic storm

First, let me say that I've always, since a little girl been fascinated with old-fashioned ways and time periods. I've had many people jokingly tell me that I was born in the wrong time period. I love cooking and baking from scratch...I love hanging my clothes on clotheslines, I love a garden, I love fires in the fireplace...I love, love, love fiber arts! Quilting, crocheting...now I'm learning to sew and spin. I love "Little Women", "Little House on the Prairie" and I love the "Waltons"....wish I lived at the foot of Walton's mountain! LOL I'm fascinated with the Amish way of life as well. So...all this to say that I love studying how they lived during these time periods, and wonder if I could as well.

Many years ago, when I stopped working outside the home when my first daughter was born, I discovered "enforced frugality"...then, after having my second daughter 2 years later....I discovered the Lord....and what living life trusting in His provision was like. I could give example after example of God's provision in our lives then...and since. I also discovered what I found to be very interesting...God wants us to trust Him for our needs, but He wants us to do it joyfully...and creatively...using the gifts that He has given us. I've learned a lot over the years, and still love learning as much as I can.

Usually, and I can't explain it any other way...before some "storm of life" happens in our family, I can sense an impending " storm"....I truly believe that God prepares us for impending "storms of life"....and yes, He wants us to trust Him completely...but He will also lead us to prepare in ways according to His will.

I feel a "storm" coming. I feel, after much prayer ( and will continue to seek His will) that He is calling me, as the Keeper of our home, to prepare for a "storm". My husbands contract with work is up in 1 year...it looks like the company is leaning toward selling or contracting out the work...as for many, the job situation is tenuous, at best. But, God is faithful! He is showing me ways to preserve food the "old-fashioned" way....to culture it, to can and dehydrate more. To little by little, put away a few extra cans each time we go to the grocery store...a few extra bags of rice or lentils or beans. And to give more of these same items to the foodbanks who are hurting more and more lately...with no relief in sight. I've been reading more of natural nutrition so we dont' HAVE to depend on supplements...although buying a little extra of these and putting them away. Paying down/off debt...a little at a time. Making gifts and cards rather than buying them. Even having extra wood for the fireplace and an extra tank of propane for the grill ( that has a burner on the side) I've discovered very inexpensive, but healthy ways to make laundry soap and not use fabric softeners...and if necessary (if no electricity) how to do laundry by hand for 6 people.

This morning, in my devotions, I was reading this in 'Streams in the Desert'...."God is in the midst of her. She will not be moved.God will help her when morning dawns." Psalm 46:5 Here are portions of the devotion: 'Will not be moved. Is it possible for us who are so easily moved by earthly things to come to a point where nothing can upset us or disturb our peace?! The answer is yes..and the apostle Paul knew it. When he was on his way to Jerusalem, the Holy Spirit warned him that trials and prison awaited him. But he could still say " But none of these things move me." (acts 20:24) If we only allow God to have His way with us ( not our will, Lord, but yours be done) then, like Paul, neither the stress and strain of little things,nor the great and heavy trials of life will have enough power to move us from "the peace of God , which transcends all understanding" (phil.4:7) God declares this peace the inheritance of those who learn to rest only on Him. When God is the center of a soul, although disasters may crowd in on all sides and roar like the waves of the sea, there is a constant calm within. The world can neither give nor take away this kind of peace." " What is it that causes people to shake like leaves today at the first hint of danger? It is simply the lack of God living in their souls, and having the world in their hearts instead." R. Leighton ~ This is such a wonderful, comforting, encouraging, exhorting devotional! I encourage everyone, if you can to get a copy. You can get them really inexpensively on CBD or amazon.

The church that we go to is a part of Sovereign Grace ministries and produces a lot of their own music. Yesterday, was 1 year since our son, Ronnie, had his first major surgery...another storm over. It will be 2 months since his last surgery...again, another storm done. When he was in the hospital and again when he came home, when the pain would be so bad, he would start to panic and would ask me to sing..."Jesus Loves Me" was one of his favorites, but 2 more that really blessed me that he would ask for went like this " The Lord is...the Lord is my shephard. I shall not want"...and "So God, we trust in You...when fears are great and comforts few, we hope in mercies ever new, we trust in You."....Oh, how faithful He is to comfort and calm us! His love, provision and comfort are constant....He IS faithful, He IS merciful....and He WILL provide for our needs.

As our family prepares for the coming "storm"....we don't know if it will be a little, short storm or a long, devestating storm....but we rest in the knowledge that our God ALWAYS provides. We will continue to pray for His leading...and quietly go about obeying and preparing as He leads. May you all be blessed, calmed and comforted in the knowledge of His love and care over you! How mighty is our God!!! I want to leave you with some encouraging lyrics from a Chris Tomlin song. (I'm sure you can listen to it somewhere on the internet...but I don't know how to do that!) LOL Have a blessed day! ~Sue~

Mighty Is The Power Of The Cross lyrics

What can take a dying man and raise him up to life again?
What can heal a wounded soul?
What can make us white as snow?
What can fill the emptiness?
What can mend our brokenness?
Brokenness

[Chorus:]
Mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the holy cross
Where the Lamb laid down His life
To lift us from the fall
Mighty is the power of the cross

What restores our faith in God?
What reveals the Father's love?
What can lead the wayward home?
What can melt a heart of stone?
What can free the guilty ones
What can save and overcome?
Overcome

[Chorus]

It's a miracle to me [2x]
And It's still a mystery [2x]
It's a miracle to me
The power of God
For those who believe

Mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the holy cross
Where the Lamb laid down His life
To lift us from the fall
Mighty is .......
Mighty is.......
Mighty is the power of the cross

Thank You for the cross [2x]
Love the cross [2x]
So Powerful...... ohhhhh yeahhh
What can take a dying man?
And raise him up to life again?

Worship You Jesus
By your wounds we are healed
By your wounds we are saved
Mighty is the power of the cross [2x]
Thank You Jesus for the Holy cross

2 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, what a lovely post!
Oh, my Mommy and I are exactly like that. We LOVE the old fashioned ways, canning, sewing, making everything from scratch, etc... It's so awesome how much we have in common with you! I am so thankful the Lord brought Meghan and me together and not only that, but I feel like all of you are just another family to me and am so thankful for you!
I will keep you all in my prayers.
God is so Good!!
Love you all,
~Bekah:)

Patti said...

You know, I used to say the same thing, that I was living in the wrong century. Then a couple years ago, we went camping in yellowstone National park the last week of August/first week of SEptember. It is at 8,000 feet, and winter comes early!! The campgrounds don't have electric hookups, and I must tell you, I was freezing when I woke up in the morning (it was 28 degrees!). I took my hair dryer to the bathroom, where there are electric hookups, and I used it to warm up my feet. I realized that I am very dependent upon electricity...or at least some sort of modern warmth. I do like some modern conveniences.

But my old-fashioned, home-centered mind is what makes me long for another time period. Times were much simpler. No, not easy, but simple. You know, home, church, family, community. There wasn't all the "stuff" that gets us SO sidetracked.

And isn't it funny, our society prospers because of materialism. In order for the current economic woes to depart, people have to buy more stuff, do more stuff. And yet, I actually want to simplify.

Love,
Patti