Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Desire of My Heart

I remember reading in one of my old journal attempts about what I wanted to be when I grow up. Sometimes at night I'd lay in my bed and picture myself in the future doing/being one of these things. At the time, when I was about 10, I had many, *ahem* varying interests.
They were:
1. A Wife and Mother; I mentally added, "Before that..."
2. A Writer
3. Maybe a fashion designer ('maybe' being a key word)
I know there might havebeen one or two more but they escape me at the moment. :)
After my horrible sketching/drawing attempts, I gave up my fashion designer 'dream' because all I kept drawing was wedding gowns and characters from books. (Big suprise there?!)
I still write and hope to at least self-publish (eventually) the book I'm currently working on now. However I don't want to have a career outside the home as a writer. I can still write from home! But I am content and happy with writing stories, novels, and articles.....not to mention all my schoolwork writing assignments. :)
My one 'dream' that has stayed true and steady since I was little was to eventually be married, run my own home and have children. Since I've grown older, that 'dream' is becoming almost a reality. It's the desire of my heart. At my mother's feet I am learning to do all the practical and useful things a wife and mother does. I learn mostly by doing, watching, listening and inquiring. At times I have a discontented heart because I can't do the things I feel are best in our home. Mum gently reminds me that it is HER home and she knows best. And that the Lord knows best for placing me in this home with this particular family. Mum hardly ever says this with a harsh tone or impatient countenance. Instead she lovingly guides me and instructs me with never a complaint. A very good character lesson I'm learning through this is to keep my heart under my parent's leadership and authority; as I will someday when I am married.
Pride is one area I struggle in, with many different faces. How can, when I'm married, be content and humble under my husband's leadership with a prideful heart?! How can I listen to advice or opinions of my husband if I can't do so now with my parents without snapping at them? I am so thankful that the Lord is slowly molding and shaping my heart through my parents discipline and love. I'm so glad that I know the Lord and I am being raised by the most wonderful parents. :) Though sometimes I may grumble at the slightly cluttered condition of the counters, or throw a disrespectful retort towards one of my parents out of pain or anger, my parents lovingly and gently correct me and I'm reminded of God's grace and love when I hear the words from my Mum or Dad, "Of course I forgive you!"
The desire of my heart is to be a wife, homemaker and mother someday. I hope to be as good and wonderful a wife, mother and homemaker as Mum is. But more than anything I want to be the wife, homemaker and mother the Lord wants me to be someday.
The Keepers at Home Goal:
To have a teachable spirit so that I can master the different crafts and skills which will enable me to become a competent, well-balanced Christian girl who loves God, and who will one day be a proper helpmeet and keeper at home.
*This future hope-to-be 'keeper at home' needs to get some shut eye!*

6 comments:

Ella said...

Your desire is mine as well, my friend! I am so thankful we have our mothers to look to for examples!

Sue said...

How beautiful, Meghan! I'm not sure what prompted this...but God IS faithful, and He will continue to direct your "education" towards His goals for your future. You are such a sweet, helpful daughter with a true servants heart! Be patient....learn, and enjoy the process of learning while you wait for God's timing in making the desires of your heart a reality. I love you! ~Mum~

Patti said...

Meghan, that you aspire to be a wife and mother is a NOBLE thing.

When I was your age, I had NO desire to be a wife and mother. Had I been raised in a different century (or at least another decade) I might have, but since I was raised in the "I am woman hear me roar" 70's, all I ever heard was "throw off the shackles of the home and get an important career." And you know what...that never satisfied. I followed that path, but always, deep within, was the longing for the old-fashioned life of home, husband, and children. I wasted alot of years pursuing the world's path, and it never brought fulfillment or satisfaction. It wasn't until I embraced home with all of my heart that I was content and fulfilled. Had I been embracing my home calling from the very beginning, I wouldn't have known so many unhappy, unfulfilling years. I've read of several secular women who, now in their 40's, are grieving the fact that what they really want is a husband and children, and it now seems to be too late.

I'm thankful that you and your sister and my own daughter are walking a different path than I walked and that you won't get to your 40's and have decades of regret.

Love,
Mrs. G.

Unknown said...

Dear Meghan,
What a beautiful tribute to your mother. Your goal is a blessed one. With your mother's guidance and God's touch, you will be a wonderful wife and mother. In my eyes, I see a young woman not only willing to learn but excited about doing so. You are a special young woman who I know God will bless with an abundant life. Love, Grammy

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother. As her mother, you must know how it warmed my heart to read your blog. I know without a doubt, you will be blessed with a wonderful husband and family. I don't view your "pride" like you do, I see it as a young woman starting to have aspirations of her own. You are special..not only in God's eyes but also mine. Grammy

Anonymous said...

Aww Meghan. your're going to make a wonderful wife and mother someday! I have seen so much growth in you throughout the years, especially spiritually. I am so blessed to be friends with such special people like you and Sara who earnestly want to fulfill the roles that the Lord created us for. Like your mom said, Meghan, I love you! love, Michaela