Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Heritage Field Trip Fun!

Our family has a membership to the Heinz History Center...a wonderful museum affliated with the Smithsonian.  This weekend, we enjoyed a whole day wondering around the wonderful old building that used to be the Chautauqua Ice House.  It was Heritage Day.  The above photo is of the Slovakian dancers.  I, particularly, was touched by this group as they sang and danced to all the songs that my grandmother loved and I shared with her long ago.  Baba would have loved this!  Some of the people are the same as when Gram and I used to go see them perform many years ago.

Anna loved learning the art of making Slovenian lace...getting the hang of the rhythm  of crossing the bobbins in the right order.  She asked if she could have one of these at home!  (I'm not sure, but I think they may be pretty expensive)

These gorgeous Slovenian easter eggs were so beautiful!  I have a friend who does this art and am hoping to learn over the winter.

Ronnie had such a great time talking with these gentlemen....one from Scotland and one from Wales.  Discussing the legends of King Arthur and the areas he most likely would have been from fascinates Ronnie right now.  He and one gentleman had both watched the same documentary and enjoyed discussing it together.

Anna loves herbs and really enjoyed making her own sachet filled with lavender, rose hips, orange peel and chamomile.

taking a break from a lot of walking on 5 floors of the museum. (typical Sara....performing!)

A new exhibit that we hadn't seen yet, that is loaned by the Smithsonian is the  History of the American Flag.  Very cool exhibit!  So many authentic flags from the 1700's, 1800's, both Confederate and Union flags...along with World War II flags and memorabilia...all the way thru the 60's and 70's and a large display from 9/11 as well.  Very beautiful, humbling, educational tribute to the symbol of our great country.

My little readers read everything...and they also had a lot of hands on displays for the children including the proper way to fold a flag.


While the guys went to the Steelers and Penquin sports museum, the girls and I toured thru the Heinz exhibit...one of my favorite spots! (and the girls, too!)

Anna's advertising campaign for Heinz Spagetti! 


One of the kids favorite things to do is pack the pickle jars!  As Anna is now into helping me do anything I'm doing, including canning pickles, she had fun packing pickles at Heinz!

We enjoy educational field trips, but we really enjoy them when we can do them as a family.  What a wonderful day we had!  Finished it off by coming home to a delicious dinner, and watching the Duggar family start their tour of Europe...the kids were mesmerized by life in Scotland and Ireland...the castles, the farms the highland games....This is one family field trip memorie that will always be special to me!  ~Sue~

1 comment:

Crafty Homeschool Mama said...

loved! thanks for posting, Sue! Looking forward to getting down to Heinz History soon...
What a beautiful family ya'll are