Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Finally...Success!

One of my 'resolutions' this year is to eat healthier and to save money. My family LOVES vanilla yogurt....and I use plain yogurt for everything. I've tried many times with many different methods to make my own yogurt and the results have been very disappointing (runny, taste a bit off...) until now!

Last night (after much research of different methods) I tried a simple oven method. First, I brought 1/2 gallon of milk plus 1 cup of dried milk powder to 185 degrees, then lowered the temp. to 100, added the starter, poured 1/2 into a quart jar, mixed vanilla and stevia with the rest and poured that into a quart jar and put them into the oven that I had heated to 200 degrees and then shut off. I kept the oven light on all night and this morning...perfect, delicious yogurt! I had to laugh as my children all had bowls of it this morning...at this rate I'll be making it frequently!

I was reminded of the classic children's book "The Little Engine that Could"...I hope my children will see that yes, their mother has many failed attempts, but keeps persevering...and occasionally has success...now, if I can learn to ferment veggies....and knit something other than a scarf....and finish the quilt I started and......so many things to learn, so little time! I hope I never lose the desire to learn! Have a blessed day! ~Sue~

No comments: