Green tomatoes...we had SO MANY of them when last week, the weather forcasters were predicting the possibility of a frost...so my son Ronnie and I picked all the green tomatoes (and semi-red ones left), and all the peppers and filled bowls and bowls of them....and I wasn't sure what to do! LOL This year, we put a fence up so the deer wouldn't eat all of our hard work...and we had a wonderful yield! We were so grateful to eat from the garden all summer and still have a lot of celery to harvest and dry in the dehydrator, basil to be made into pesto and frozen and even a couple of large cabbages to make into fermented saurerkraut.
So...on Friday, my oldest daughter, Meghan, and I canned. For the first time, I made piccallili (followed the recipe in the Ball Canning book) and it is delicious! I didn't think I would like it...I actually made it for my dad and mother-in-law who mentioned that they liked it, but we love it! Especially my little ones love it and kept asking for more at dinner! This is a recipe I'll have to make more of next year.

We have about 4 quarts of pickling brine left, and will be going to our farmer's market on Tuesday to see what else we can pickle! We'll be getting some apples and hopefully pears to can apple/pear butter and applesauce.
My kitchen counter right now. We canned so many jars (I am so happy to have 4 gallon jars filled!) of pickled green tomatoes with peppers, onion and garlic as well as our piccallili. I have to re-arrange our pantry to accomodate all of our jars.
So...on Friday, my oldest daughter, Meghan, and I canned. For the first time, I made piccallili (followed the recipe in the Ball Canning book) and it is delicious! I didn't think I would like it...I actually made it for my dad and mother-in-law who mentioned that they liked it, but we love it! Especially my little ones love it and kept asking for more at dinner! This is a recipe I'll have to make more of next year.
We have about 4 quarts of pickling brine left, and will be going to our farmer's market on Tuesday to see what else we can pickle! We'll be getting some apples and hopefully pears to can apple/pear butter and applesauce.
My kitchen counter right now. We canned so many jars (I am so happy to have 4 gallon jars filled!) of pickled green tomatoes with peppers, onion and garlic as well as our piccallili. I have to re-arrange our pantry to accomodate all of our jars.One small change we're making in our family is preserving...canning, freezing and dehydrating...and enjoying the fruits of our labors in the cold, winter months. We're finding that actually living a simple life, and doing some things the old-fashioned way (preserving, cooking from scratch, etc...) is actually a lot of hard work! LOL But....satisfying.
Have a blessed week! ~Sue~
No comments:
Post a Comment