Friday, October 1, 2010

One small change for October...down-sizing.

I've been spending a good part of my days recently (like many of you) switching sizes and seasons for my 2 youngest children as well as myself. (Thankfully, my older daughters do their own) As I've been folding and sorting and going thru the (what seems like) endless bags of clothes stored in our attic, I've been thinking of something my mother said to me recently. When my 2 sisters and I were little, we had very little clothing...and needed very little clothing...we had a few dresses for church/holidays,about 5 or 6 "nice" school clothes outfits that we had to take off and put away the MINUTE we got home and about 5 playclothes outfits. Not very many compared to most children today.

I've also been praying about down-sizing....paring down everything...from kitchen items, to books (this is my HARDEST area), to clothing as well as trusting the Lord for His provision...rather than hoarding in my attic things that I think I "might" need someday. He is faithful, and He will provide just what we need when we need it.

So....today I started with clothing...and will (hopefully) finish tomorrow, including tackling the attic and donating/purging all of the things I've been hoarding for years. Some of my mind-set goes back to when I first started having children and being a stay-at-home mom and living on one income...we COULDN'T just go to the store and get lots of clothes every season, so as people would pass on clothing to us, (know matter how much we already had) up in the attic it went "just in case".

Over the coming weeks in October, I hope to finish 'purging' our home of unnecessary "stuff"....and too much stuff, making more room for the things that are important to our family...and less clutter, making it easier to clean and a much more peaceful home.

What is one small change you can do? Have a blessed fall season! ~Sue~

3 comments:

Dayna said...

Sue, I am so thankful that the Lord gave us a year in Africa, a (somewhat) smaller house, and practical, wise friends to motivate me to want to get rid of some things. I think this will be a gradual process for me. It's starting with not wanting to shop the way I used to. I can actually enter TJ Maxx, walk through the housewares department, and not be tempted to buy dishes -- regardless of how many daughters I have to pass them to. :-) Thank you for your wonderful example of frugality and honoring your husband in the way that you maintain the household. I love you, dear friend!

Michaela said...

I had to chuckle when I read about "purging." that's a word we hear often in our house...my mom is awesome at that, too! ;)

Kahri said...

came from the HMWF group to read your blog. I can't wait to read more. I am GF too but think it is so sweet you make your hubby bread! And your bread looks beautiful!