Sunday, September 19, 2010

Margin....


So, I was asked to speak tomorrow evening and give a short devotion for our local homeschooling support meeting. As I've been praying about what the Lord would have me share...He keeps bringing me to the word "balance"...and this led me to remember a book that I had read called "Margin" and it's sequel entitled "The Overload Syndrome".

Let's face it, folks.....as any mother knows...whether you are a mother who works outside the home, a stay-at-home mom or a homeschooling mom....we all are trying to perform a balancing act...trying to balance the needs of our husbands, our children and ourselves(forget sleep...there will be time for that later! LOL)....let alone the needs of extended family members, churches, neighbors or communities...all while trying to keep up with the housework, laundry, meals, etc...

I often wonder how past generations of moms did it...kept their homes immaculate, had warm cookies waiting for their children after school...meals prepared from scratch...AND helped out on PTA and church committees! (Then I did realize...since their children were gone all day, then they could clean uninterruped and focus on all the work they had to do during the day!)

As this book helped me to see....we all need to build in a little 'margin' in our lives...in our daily schedules. As women and nurturers...most of us have a hard time saying 'no'....whether it is to help those in need, to serve....and to things that would benefit our children...ie: activities, sports, etc....

But...if we don't have boundaries....and prayerfully seek the Lord and His will....we may fill up our lives with so many "good" things...that we are missing God's best for us and our families. God's word tells us to "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness...and all these things shall be added to us" (ok...I'm paraphrasing a little...I"m tired! LOL) I know it is hard for me not to 'over-schedule' sometimes...ok, a lot of the time. And as I look at my schedule filling up for the week...sometimes I get a little frantic, and need to build in some margin.

I highly recommend these books....they not only make you aware of how harmful over-load is to our bodies and our families, but also, how to avoid over-load as well. Most importantly, if we, as moms...as nurturers and care-givers, remember to stay focused on His word...and prayerfully seek His will...carefully guarding our homelife and families....God will be glorified in our homes as we seek to do His will. Have a blessed week! ~Sue~

1 comment:

Patti said...

I read this book a few years ago, and it really helped me make some much-needed changes in my life.

Here are a couple passages that really spoke to my heart and set me free from constant busyness.

"Rx:2 Learn to Say No --- As with emotional energy margin, saying no is not just a good idea---it is an absolute necessity. If there are one hundred good things to do and you can do only ten of them, you will have to say no ninety times." (page 155)




"Rx:4 Prune the Activity Branches --- "I view my life as a tree...The trunk is the anchor...relationship to Christ. The limbs represent those major focus areas that God has given...family, job, ministry, and personal development. And the branches represent the ever-proliferating multitude of activities. Even without special care, activity branches multiply. Soon the profusion of branches becomes more prominent than the trunk and limbs. When this happens, I feel trapped, frustrated, and empty..." (page 156)




"It is not easy to say no. Anyone who has eaten in a buffet restaurant knows what it is like to face a long table of inviting foods: salads, potatoes, gravy, rolls, corn, chicken, shrimp, roast beef, and pie. It is difficult to go down this line without saying yes to too much. In life, as in the buffet, our plates fill up sooner than we realize. In attempting to be sociable we try to accommodate everyone's invitations. In attempting to live a full life we taste every experience. In attempting to be good parents we try to give our children more opportunities than we had. In attempting to be compassionate we want to help with everyone's problems. In attempting to be good providers we accept extra work assignments...As we are presented with more decision and activity overload within an increasingly complex and stressful context, balance becomes more difficult. We cannot resolve this problem without saying no---even to some very good things. Saying no, then, is the first step..." (page 221)

"No" has never been an easy word for me to say, but I've learned how very essential it is to my health and well-being...and the health of my family.

Hope y'all are having a lovely day.

Love,
Patti