Monday, May 31, 2010

Our Garden! One small change for June....

~One small change....really does make a world of difference! While trying to be a good steward of what the Lord has blessed me with, I've realized that teaching my children to be good stewards is one of the things of utmost importance to me. To worship and love God...to be in awe of and take good care of His creation...for us, lots of discussions of nature and creation have been going on around here as well as being good stewards. We all have worked so hard (and made wonderful memories) with our garden this year!With 2 raised beds, using a combination of square foot gardening and lasagna gardening...our soil this year is so rich from compost! Ron & Ronnie have been working hard to get our beds ready and prepare the soil. We've started a large compost bin as well.
Anna was so happy planting and working along side me...she was so careful with the plants and planting the seeds....she can't wait till the seeds that she and I planted start to sprout!

I left just a little bit of room for some celery in this bed. We had so much celery last year that we could pick it as needed straight thru until it snowed!

Ronnie! He dug, he planted, he lugged a heavy watering can....I"m so proud of how hard he has been working! He has now taken over all garbage at our house! (Ron is very pleased!) Ronnie has also been eating us out of house and home! LOL He and Anna are my primary composters!




We planted around a dozen zucchini plants around our little front 'stoop'. I'm trying something new this year...since they seem to do better by climbing and take so much space...we decided to train them up the railings...we also have many perennial herbs that will be in this spot as well for 'ground' cover, along with flowers for splashes of color. Hopefully, the deer will leave the herbs and zucchini alone!



Our "green acres" pose!

We are also adding a lot of herbs to our herb garden....we will have chamomile, spearmint, peppermint, orange mint and apple mint to dry for teas. Lemon balm and lavender for sachets. Basil, chives, garlic chives, thyme, sage, parsley and cilantro. Yum!
My little herb garden..I will be transplanting a lot of these in the next few days and spreading them around.

And...just because I love them...my beloved red geraniums!
~So....for 2010 our garden will have lots of herbs to dry, tomatoes, green beans, peppers, hot peppers, butternut squash, cabbage, celery, cucumbers, pickling cucumbers, cantelope, jalepino peppers...and I'm hoping to get a couple berry bushes to put in with a gift certificate I have to a local nursery. The girls and I plan on having the dehydrator going, lots of canning and some freezing...can you tell I'm hoping for a lot of zucchini? LOL
We will also be going strawberry picking soon and plan on making lots of jam for the stocking the pantry. What is one small change that you can make? ~Sue~
P.S. I have to tell you all ...ever since my husband put in our outdoor clothesline...we have to laugh because my laundry is up to date! I am LOOKING for things to make a full load, and am LOVING hanging and taking down my laundry outside with my precious children helping me! I enjoy it so much! Ron is putting up a line just for Anna at her level because she loves it as much as I do!

8 comments:

Dianne said...

How sweet and fun; I love reading about other people's gardens! We have 5 raised beds - they are the ticket. I started composting this summer also. I read that deer do not bother cucumbers so I planted them outside the garden to climb the back fence; we'll see if it's true! We're on our 3rd year with strawberries - so easy and fun but LOL I have to pick them everyday! I never thought about trying celery but I should. I love my 'maters but bummed that I forgot to do Romas this year and I have no more room. How sweet that your little Anna loves to garden alongside you! Oh and . . . look up "lavender" on the internet sometime. Last summer I went crazy making lavender tea, lemonade, scones, shortbread . . . you name it. Your girls would love it!! Blessings!

Jolyn said...

How exciting,I have never thought about celery..I will be looking forward to seeing how that grows. It makes me want to go out and start planting away.. I love to hang on the clothes line and actually did when we lived in library but my allergies are so bad now I could never do that.. enjoy.The green acres pic is cute. Love it...and you all..

Dayna said...

This post gave me warm fuzzies!

Michaela said...

Your garden looks wonderful! It's so exciting to see your plots with plants in them!=D

Anonymous said...

Great looking garden. I tried to dry herbs one year. I wasn't good at it. Never made tea either. You'll have to let me know about that. I do know that fresh mint is excellent sprinkled on top of honeyed/buttered cooked carrots.

Oh and tell Ronnie he has BIG muscles! He looks VERY strong! ;-)

Steph

Unknown said...

Your gardens look great! I love growing our food! I am also loving hanging our laundry...it is hard to describe how I feel when I am out there hanging, but there is a definite feeling of connection to the past and it just feels right!
So glad to have you participating in One Small Change!

Terra said...

That is so great how your children are involved in gardening, which is a great gift for them.

wysiwyg said...

Hi Sue!

We went 2 years without a dryer and I loved it! Of course most of that time we lived in Phoenix so it was easy to dry outside all year! Love your posts and pics!

Mandy