We lost our electricity around 3:30pm in a fierce thunderstorm yesterday...I've always been interested in the "old days", and have always felt the need impressed on me to "be prepared"...especially this last year. After losing our electric for 18 hours this winter, we knew where everything was yesterday and it was not a hardship yesterday at all.We have a gas stove, so heating up some ham & bean soup that we had ready took no time at all for a warm, hearty supper. The kids were fascinated with the oil lamp...until they smelled it....I loved it! Ronnie & Anna happily played Legos together until it got to dark to see them on the rug, then after supper we all kept ourselves busy. I thought it was very peaceful around here....until we heard the sounds of generators starting up in the neighborhood....right about when the playoff hockey game was starting! LOL

Meghan and Sara kept busy playing a Nancy Drew game(which they almost never have time to play together) , taking turns on their laptops with batteries until they needed to shut them down...then reading. (obviously, the picture of the girls and the picture of the guys was used with the flash....for minutes afterward, no one could see from the bright flashes!)
I played Uno with Ronnie and Anna for a while......

Then, Ron & Ronnie used Meghan's mp3 player to listen to the hockey game together. (Note to self: get at least one hand-crank radio and one battery powered one) I just thought it was so cute how they shared the earbuds, and were discussing the game and high fiveing each other....Ron doesn't feel he missed too much not being able to watch it. I will say it was much more quiet and peaceful for me! LOL

Anna asked me to read Cinderella to her by the lamp....and I was able to continue to read my book "Knitting Through It" by Lela Nargi......a wonderful, inspiring book.

Meghan and Sara kept busy playing a Nancy Drew game(which they almost never have time to play together) , taking turns on their laptops with batteries until they needed to shut them down...then reading. (obviously, the picture of the girls and the picture of the guys was used with the flash....for minutes afterward, no one could see from the bright flashes!)
I played Uno with Ronnie and Anna for a while......
Then, Ron & Ronnie used Meghan's mp3 player to listen to the hockey game together. (Note to self: get at least one hand-crank radio and one battery powered one) I just thought it was so cute how they shared the earbuds, and were discussing the game and high fiveing each other....Ron doesn't feel he missed too much not being able to watch it. I will say it was much more quiet and peaceful for me! LOL

Anna asked me to read Cinderella to her by the lamp....and I was able to continue to read my book "Knitting Through It" by Lela Nargi......a wonderful, inspiring book.
I really thought about how peaceful it was last night....as I was trying not to worry about my freezers full of food. When we lost power this winter after 26 plus inches of snow, I wasn't worried about the food because it was so bitter cold out, but my little ones were sick and I was worried about keeping them warm, safe and getting them healthy. So many lessons learned when we are forced to do without technology! It truly is a miraculous tool in some ways...I was grateful for cell phones to be able to check on family and road conditions... and in other ways...well, let's just say I will continue to whittle down to the amount of technology that we NEED and USE it as a tool...
~Hope everyone has a very blessed day!~ Sue
1 comment:
Sue, I enjoyed this post so much! We have frequent power failures, but I don't think we've gone beyond about 12 hours (yet). Did you end up losing your frozen food?
Once when our power went out, I donned my headlamp and continued playing Farkle at the table with the children. I'm not always so happy about it, though. :-) The worst is when I can't sew.
You so inspire me, my friend!
Post a Comment