Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Real Food Nutrition...Rawsome Italiano

Real food...the way that God made it. That is what He has been guiding our family towards more of for 'whole food' nutrition. We've tried lots of supplements over the years...from multi-vitamins, iron, probiotics...I think we've tried most of them and some work well, but the idea of getting all or most of our nutrition from real food was intriguing to me...so I started the research. (anyone who knows me knows that I love to research!) The Lord kept leading me back to the raw food movement...with all the nutrients, fiber and enzymes intact. I was blessed to get some books and a nifty little kitchen gadget and away we went! Above is a picture of a recipe that has become a family favorite...even getting 2 thumbs up from my 5 year old daughter AND my 'meat & potatoes' husband! It is called "Rawsome Italiano". I'll post the recipe below.
This is my "spiralizer"...I found it on Amazon after reading about it being used in a lot of raw food recipes. It will either make 'ribbon' looking veggies, similar to pasta or (our favorite) it will actually make the veggies very similar to angel hair pasta. This is what we did with the zucchini.
Look at all of that yummy green goodness!

~I've been trying to add as much raw veggies and fruit thru out the whole day as I can get into everyone...along with culturing our own kefir and kombucha, both of which are loaded with tons of enzymes and probiotics. We've been having kefir berry smoothies in the mornings (with lots of unsweetened frozen berries), green smoothies around lunch (with romaine, spinach and different frozen fruit)...along with veggies and fruit...a raw 'salad' of some sort...either this zucchini recipe, or 'anti-cancer' slaw or salad...and another kefir smoothie before bed. Some days, I feel as if I am drinking all day long! LOL

The above recipe is from a very cool book called "Alive in Five" by Angela Elliot. Here it is! (this is how we modified it to our tastes...we do not do olives, but you can throw them in!) To your health! ~Sue~

~Rawsome Italiano~


1 zucchini (we used 4 thin ones for our family of 6)
1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
1/5 sweet onion, chopped
olives
salt/pepper
fresh parsley for garnish (we used fresh chives)

Using a vegetable peeler or spiralizer, cut the zucchini into long, thin strips to create "vegetable spagetti". Mix in the rest of the veggies and toss. Pour sauce on top and garnish.

Sauce

6 Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, soaked for 15 minutes
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (I used dried)
1 green onion, chopped (I used 1/8 of an onion)
2 tbslp olive oil
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp. agave nectar
salt/pepper/oregano

Process in food processor until smooth....pour on veggies right before serving.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Haugh Family said...

Hello,

This was a very intersting post. I have recently been wondering if we should be altering our diet more in accordinance with whole/raw/real foods. We've also been looking into vaccine/medicine natural alternatives.
Thanks for the recipe :)
~Jenny