First, with 2 children coughing excessively with pertussis, now was NOT the time for me to lose electricity....I was worried about it getting too cold for them, but they were fine...and slowly getting better every day. I am also not usually a worrier, but I AM prepared. So, for our family...knowing snow was coming (they were only calling for 8-12 inches....not 22!)...I made sure we had what we needed. Thursdays or Fridays are our usual grocery shopping days, according to Ron's pay, so going to the grocery store on Friday morning was not unusual...but the incredibly long lines certainly were! For years, I've always been trying to be prepared for any emergency...plenty of food, a gas stove and/or a gas grill with extra propane...plenty of blankets, candles, flashlights and oil lamps available if needed....now, we keep firewood as well...and am I ever glad we do!
Friday, as the first flakes started coming down...Ron finished splitting firewood and carrying in boxes of wood for us...and extra kindling as well.
This is just the beginning of the snow starting to coat everything...and (you can't tell but) those are robins in our tree! These silly robins came back a month early! I couldn't believe it!
The view looking out at my little front porch...notice the snow is almost up to the railing...and look how much is sitting on top! Sara's footprints are so deep....when I made her walk over to the neighbors to feed her cat, then up the hill to another neighbors to rescue guinia pigs and drop off a key...she looked so funny floundering thru the snow...I kept telling her "...when I was your age...." stories.
My deck....I am still amazed at how much snow is on top of my table and railings!
My poor trees bowing down to the ground...I hope they survive this heavy, wet snow!
Had to put this in there...homemade chicken soup with rice noodles....cooking a pot of homemade soup, boiling water for noodles and keeping the tea kettle on generated a lot of heat.
The front walk...to show how deep the snow is. (My mom is STILL in sunny Florida...and can't wait to see the pictures!)
The tree on the left is my hemlock that is now sideways, with lots of broken branches and the front right is my (sigh) beloved lilac bush....I so hope these two will spring back once the heavy snow is lifted!
Friday, as the first flakes started coming down...Ron finished splitting firewood and carrying in boxes of wood for us...and extra kindling as well.
This is just the beginning of the snow starting to coat everything...and (you can't tell but) those are robins in our tree! These silly robins came back a month early! I couldn't believe it!
The view looking out at my little front porch...notice the snow is almost up to the railing...and look how much is sitting on top! Sara's footprints are so deep....when I made her walk over to the neighbors to feed her cat, then up the hill to another neighbors to rescue guinia pigs and drop off a key...she looked so funny floundering thru the snow...I kept telling her "...when I was your age...." stories.
My deck....I am still amazed at how much snow is on top of my table and railings!
My poor trees bowing down to the ground...I hope they survive this heavy, wet snow!
Had to put this in there...homemade chicken soup with rice noodles....cooking a pot of homemade soup, boiling water for noodles and keeping the tea kettle on generated a lot of heat.
The front walk...to show how deep the snow is. (My mom is STILL in sunny Florida...and can't wait to see the pictures!)
The tree on the left is my hemlock that is now sideways, with lots of broken branches and the front right is my (sigh) beloved lilac bush....I so hope these two will spring back once the heavy snow is lifted!~One of the interesting things I've learned thru this is that I THOUGHT I would love to live in pioneer times....now....maybe not. We had no trouble keeping warm, plenty of food and light...and activities to keep us busy, so they weren't the problem. My biggest concerns were my husband having to be out driving in the storm, my little ones bad coughs....and honestly, I was afraid of losing all the food that I have been stockpiling my freezers with for when Ron's job contract is up. Not knowing the future, we've been trying to at least stock the freezers and pantry...knowing that it will get eaten eventually...and trying to make sure we at least know that we will have plenty of food. I know, we are blessed...and that the Lord will always provide, but I also have felt Him leading me to prepare our family the best that I can and leave the rest to Him. I know, from my "Little House" books how they stored and preserved things...but if I don't HAVE to salt, or smoke my venison...I would rather freeze it. I imagined myself out in the snow with plastic laundry baskets full of frozen meat fighting off the raccoons and animals for my families food while my husband was gone braving the elements. LOL
So...I LIKE electricity! But....I and the children discovered that we DO like the phone not ringing...not being on the computer...the warm feel of doing dishes by hand and the fun of chatting together while working at chores...the warmth and comfort of a fire....the peace and comfort of quilts and yarn in our hands...and working together. Four whole GLORIOUS days without any outside commitments....we are all loving it! Hope you all are safe and warm tonight! In His love........~Sue~
2 comments:
I'm with you, Sue...part of me would LOVE to live in the "Little House" era, but I do love my electricity! We are due for some more snow this week...not like what you all got...just 6-10".
Go Mr. Gorecki!! Chopping firewood ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it!! ;)
Post a Comment