Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First day of school!!!!!!

I'm so HAPPY that we've started schooling again! Back into a routine...staying home all day (running to activities here and there in the evenings, but during the day...home) We had such a great day today! Everyone was happy to be getting started again, and very productive, too! We started the day with proverbs, and a couple sword drills...and GF pancakes with apple-cinnamon syrup, and smoothies.....
Anna's first day of 'kindergarten'! She was so excited! She watched a phonics dvd, did her explode the code, abeka math, and Queen Language for little ones....she loved every bit! When her Dad woke up, she ran and told him how to spell words! I think she'll be fairly easy to teach...and she likes to learn.


Ronnie & Anna's books organized...with a glass of kombucha on the side! LOL

Ronnie is doing 2nd grade this year, and all day he said it was so easy....I'm sure he won't say that later in the year, although I hope so! He started his Easy Grammar today and seemed to get it right away...did his abeka 2 math, easy grammar, explode the code 4, Queen language #3, reviewed his spelling words and read about space...a pretty good first day!



We've always done a simple spelling list kept in a spiral notebook. A pre-test on Mondays....writing once a week, studying/quizzing everyday and another test on Friday...seems to work for all of my kids, so far.

A "sleep" Meghan doing her Abeka business math. She looked thru the book and is excited to do this this year. Since she is a junior this year...only 2 more years to go!

We have some awesome American history and American Lit resources this year, that I've split it into 2 years....each one is unique, 3 are from a decidedly biblical worldview, with critical thinking and analysis....I don't want to skip any of them....the same with American Government.

Ah...Sara's Algebra 1! I think this will be pretty easy for her...she's had pre-algebra and geometry already...then she'll do the business math, then consumer math...and graduate at 16! Not quite sure what I'll do with her her senior year....I'm sure the Lord will reveal something!

Both of the girls are doing Biology this year...it's Meghan's last year of science...is she happy!
We were blessed with these totally cool scooters (like they have at the science center) and Ronnie & Anna love them...Sara does too! Lots of fun and exercise in the basement...rain or snow...they'll be able to be active and have fun!

After all the schoolwork...we celebrated with a yummy dinner of chicken & dumplings....one of my family's favorites!
Staying home really brought out the creativity in some of us! Meghan made this cool tote bag for Sara to take to dance class. It is lined with olive green corduroy inside and on the bottom and is the perfect size for Sara's needs. I couldn't believe she did this in one day!
Sara made herself a t-shirt that says " save the planet...it's the only one with Chocolate!"...so Sara!
I even finished the blankets for the new twin girls, Addison and Bailey...who are due sometime within the next month. Hard to see the colors, but they are a soft pink flannel back, and a soft purple with stars and paisley that says "goodnight, sleepyhead"....cute and girly!
My last endeavor of the evening...cutting corn off the cob of 1 1/2 dozen ears of sweet corn. Froze most of it, will use some tomorrow for corn/zucchini chowder for supper...and the corn cobs....will be making them into corn cob jelly! I will post the recipe if it turns out...supposed to taste like honey...we'll see!
Just finished this...my "orange julius" kefir smoothie! Mmm....so good! Whoo! Being productive wears you out! LOL We're all off to bed...tomorrow is another day, and Ty is coming at 9:30am. What a great first day today!!!! I love what I do! It amazes me what staying home can accomplish....I get so tired out from 'running'....and getting interrupted....hope to have a nice first week of school, enjoy getting things done and in order and cleaned out! Have a blessed week! ~Sue~

7 comments:

Judy Kay said...

Oh!!! I know it's just not right to be envious but how I loved those days!!!!!
Congratulations to Miss Anna on being in Kindergarten!!!..and she's doing great already. Ronnie looks very happy about being a 2nd grader and of course the girls are just pros at schooling by now!
Sounds like you had a great first day!
Love you guys!!!
Judy and bunch

Dayna said...

I love this post! It's so rich! Explode the Code brings back memories... I SO miss kombucha... I'd love to have one of your kefir smoothies... the tote bag is adorable... what a fun message from Sara -- I've never thought of our planet's having a chocolate monopoly. My day just got better. :-)

Love ya!

Patti said...

Isn't it funny...you are just gearing up for a new school year, and we just ended our school year August 26th. We are enjoying our "summer" break through September and October and then starting again in November.

I haven't been able to run much, since we are living with one car right now. I am pretty much homebound during the day, although I CAN walk to the Chevron or Dominos (the only things within walking distance).

Happy schooling!!
Love,
Patti

Michaela said...

AHH!! Meghan, the purse is soooo cute!!! I can't believe you did that in one night! I'm glad you all had a great first day of school! :)

Ella said...

You all certainly were productive. I love the bag that Meghan whipped out for Sara--it is really nice!

Love you all!

Michaela said...

Oh, yeah, one more thing- HOW DID THE KOMBUCHA MAKE IT INTO THE PICTURE??!! ;P

sarah elaine said...

beautiful purse, Meghan! And Sara-- that shirt is so totally you-- only you would think up such an idea. ;) I like it. =]