Friday, August 7, 2009

Friends near and far....

Technology and me....a love/hate relationship! I love the old-fashioned ways...cooking and baking from scratch, gardening, hanging laundry outside on the clothesline...the old time crafts, sewing, quilting, crocheting...a fire in the fireplace, popcorn popped on the stove...."snail mail".....but, I do like the convenience of some technology...emails, cell phones, free long distance and digital cameras. But, I think, I like how easy it is to foster relationships. Email, free long distance, cell phones and yes, blogging, allow me to feel connected with friends and family out of state, and friends that we don't get to see as often as we would like. Today, with various errands to run, we combined the errands with short visits with friends...and what a blessing it was!
My dear friend, Marla....laughing while we all helped make pies for their church picnic tomorrow. She is expecting her 8th baby...while preparing for the wedding of her oldest daughter and homeschooling her other children....any visit we have is so precious, as time is full and they don't live very close to us.

Marla's 2 oldest girls....in order: Meghan, Hannah, Courtney (who will be married in December) and Sara


Anna, Morgan and Kenzie....both Ronnie and Anna had fun outside playing today! Ronnie had a friend over yesterday at our house to play, and today, he stayed and played with two of his "guy" friends, while we took 2 of their sisters home with us for an afternoon visit.

With...these sisters! Morgan, Michaela, Meghan and Sara....played the card game "spoons"....a very NOISY, but fun card game!

Then, after dinner, Sarah and Rachel came over for a quick game of spoons, popcorn and the movie 'Enchanted'...as I'm typing this, the movie is almost finished....all quick visits, but memory makers all the same.

My friend, Jolyn, lives in Ohio. Even though we are not close enough for 'quick' visits or get-togethers, thru our blogs, phone calls and emails...we are able to share pictures and share our daily lives with each other.
Sara and Jolyn's daughter, Autumn....even the girls have developed close friendships thru snail mail, email, long 'giggly' phone calls and blog photos with friends all over the country.

Of course, Gabrielle....back home in Idaho. Sharing our lives with her, thru technology and phone calls...and then the precious 2 weeks that she was with us....priceless! (We miss you, Gabrielle!)
Oh, my friend, Dayna! Now in Mozambique, Africa! I think it is incredible that we can keep up with each others daily lives and families thru blogging, photos, email and phone calls....even across the world!!!
~So goes my love/hate relationship with technology! I hate texting, network television, too many appliances and I am not good with machines...but I am so grateful for the relationships that technology helps to sustain. So here is to all of our friends, near and far....we love you guys! ~Sue~

5 comments:

Ella said...

Oh, how I wish....I will probably be saying that a lot now. I am so happy, though, that I know each and every one of those people in the pictures (enough to know that Sarah Calvetti is being Sarah Calvetti =)

Jolyn said...

What a true blessing from our Lord. They say if in your life time you have one true friend, how blest you are. By the looks of the pictures and I know many more friends you are all so very very blest. But it takes a friend To be a friend, and that says alot about all of you. So dear friends of mine I want to say thank you for your Godlyness and for being you.
All my love,
Jolyn

Dayna said...

Hi, sweet friend! Love/Hate is so true! I haven't been able to publish my blog correctly after an entire week here! I'm so glad to have a husband who is very tech-savvy, though. He's figured out the problem, and we hope to resolve it today. First, however, we're off to get coffee and go to church.

We missed church last week because we missed our connection from Johannesburg to Maputo on Saturday, and we ended up having to stay the night. Most folks may count that as a bummer, but we were thrilled to be "stuck" temporarily!

Michaela said...

Um, all I've got to say is that I WAS BEING TORTURED IN THAT PICTURE!!! (i.e tickled to death!)
haha. :)

Patti said...

Back in 1998, my best friend in all the world (she still is!) and her family took a missionary position in Malaysia. No more daily visits and phone calls!! Blogging wasn't even around then, but email was. Other than snail mail, which often took weeks, we had no other option but to email. And through that medium, which we kept up for the 2 years they were there, our friendship thrived.

I often abhor the loss of simplicity which has come through "progress," but in some ways that progress is wonderful.

Love,
Patti