Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Childhood memories...

When I was a very little girl, we lived close to the city and I remember my parents bringing my 2 sisters and I to South Park to the Game Preserve to see the animals. Then, we actually moved to South Park, which was a great place to grow up! We lived just a minutes drive to the Game Preserve, the Wave Pool and Corrigan drive....so we were always down the park.
When my 2 oldest daughters were little, again, we lived in the city...and what a treat it was for Ron and I to take them to South Park for the day or even for the evening to the Game Preserve and Children's playground. What memories we have!!! I count myself so blessed to still have 2 little ones to continue the memories with. The other night, Meghan and Sara wanted to stay home, Ron was working, so I took Ronnie and Anna to the Park. First, we fed the ducks and geese lots of wilted lettuce and spinach...someone remarked that we were feeding them "healthy food"! LOL They loved it, though! Lots of fish and turtles poking their heads up from the pond along with the ducks. Anna is my animal lover and she just giggled in glee to feed them!They loved feeding the ducks and geese...but I was afraid of them falling in everytime they climbed the railing! I love their sweet smiles!

We were able to watch these 2 deer for quite a while...slowly wandering around before they ran into the woods.
Anna wanted to "hold" a duck...she tried sneaking up on them and then laughed so loud when they took off! (Ronnie was NOT amused!)
Hard to tell from this photo, but this buffalo looked like it was posing for us! The kids were tickled to be able to see a baby buffalo as well....so cute, it looked like a fuzzy cow! Anna kept calling this one "Zippy" like the one in "Moe and the Big Exit" veggie tales movie.
Our last stop was Children's playground where they spent quite a bit of time swinging, climbing, sliding and running around. They made some little friends inside the little house and were playing a game with them before it was time to go home. It was such a beautiful night!
I feel so blessed to have all my children and love all the ages that they are right now! With Meghan turning 16 in only 10 more days...I can't believe how grown up she is, and how much I enjoy her, we just enjoy so much spending time together!
Sara will be 14 in a few months, and I love her at this age...she is maturing so beautifully, and I love spending time with her...and watching her still "play"...she is so gifted with the little ones and so imaginative!
Ronnie, at 7 1/2, is so like his Dad! Sometimes, I marvel at how "manly" a little boy can be...and after never having any brothers of my own, I'm sure enjoying all the "guy' stuff he loves to do! I also enjoy having his hugs, too!
My Anna....thank you, God, that you saw fit to bless me with more little ones....especially one more little girl!!! With Anna only being 4 1/2, I can enjoy my older ones and still enjoy all the wonderful blessings of little ones as well...and Anna is so funny! She tells jokes and calls them "Anna-isms"! Her big brown eyes melt my heart, and as I tell people...I never wanted an "empty nest" and now I won't have one! Having my 1 year old nephew here 2 days a weeks helps take care of my baby craving, too!
~I'm so glad that I can share these simple memories from my childhood with each of my children...and hopefully, someday, my grandchildren as well! ~Sue~

1 comment:

Jolyn said...

Oh how I remember going to see the animals and the buffalo..It was when Mike and I lived there.Thanks for the pictures. I am such an animal person and I love the zoo. Maybe we can do the Pitts. zoo on one of my trips.
hugs and love to u all.
Have a Blessed day,
Jolyn