Saturday, June 6, 2009

Crocheting-a small facet of my "productive times"

Long time no see! :) It's been awhile but as we're finishing up my sophmore year and the paperwork and editting, it's been a little crazy here. Hopefully I'll be able to post more than the occasional one but here's a short update of one facet of what has been occupying my time of late.


I absolutely love to crochet! A dear, dear friend once tried to teach me how to crochet granny squares and I grew so frustrated (which is an understatement) and vowed never to try it again. A few years later Mum introduced me to crochet again but this time without the granny squares. Granny squares are very pretty squares that are crocheted by working in rounds and for me, years ago, were very challenging. Mum taught me the basic stitches again and I soon found that I loved it! Since then I've crocheted a few baby afghans and many scarves, slipper socks....the scarves, at first, were for my dolls and were oh so curly and difficult to use. Oh well. As my tension (a crochet term for how tight or how loose you hold the yarn) evened itself out, the scarves grew smooth and straight. :) But then came the horror of uneven sides which, to this day, are still a pain and rather tricky for me to get right. Sometimes my sides went in and out...I had to start a dear friend's purse over many times because of the uneven sides. :) I made a baby blanket for my cousin Ty that turned out rather well and I think that was the first that looked really nice and I felt turned out the best so far on my crocheting journey. :)

My most recent project that has been completed is yet another baby afghan. I think this baby afghan is only my fifth. You've heard Mum talk about her Philipino friend-this afghan is for her new baby! He was born right around Mother's day but we all, as a family, have not been able to visit him yet. Which gave me more time to finish it. :) Looking back I realize I should've used a larger hook to make it easier and quicker on me....but I learned my lesson! The pattern I used is a baby blue and cream ripple. I just followed the instructions from my wonderful fiber arts/hand arts book to create a ripple. This is the second ripple afghan I've made and the first for a baby boy. The first was for our pastor's newest baby, Evie, who is now almost a year old. She is SO sweet! I had fun doing this one but I think my favorite baby afghan I've crocheted thus far is Evie's, which was done in baby pink and baby yellow. It was SO sweet! :) On that one I did a ruffly edge around it whereas in the one I just finished, I did a more subtle edging....ruffles don't really work for boys. :)

Here are a few pictures I took of my latest creation and underneath is a preview of what I am now beginning to create. :)



Me-triumphantly holding it up.....I had to creatively figure out how to make it wider without ripping the whole thing out and starting again when I realized it wasn't wide enough. That's where the few rows of edging came through. :) (Please excuse my disheveled apperance and my sleepy face....I had not yet shocked my face with cold water)

This is my favorite picture! The lighting was rather weird but oh well...

Here's the whole thing! I'm so glad it's done. I did enjoy making it but berated myself for not using a larger hook to get it along faster! Again, the lighting is rather weird but in real life those yellow-ish stripes are a delicate cream. :)
I have quite a few new projects planned-not all of them crocheted...many celebrations are coming up soon and I have almost all of the projects planned out. :) I can't give away too much because some people that I am making them for read this blog. :) My newest crochet project I've started is one I've never attempted before but one that I hope will turn out nicely. I hope to work on two projects at once but may have to put off one to quickly whip out one for an event that is coming up soon. :)
That's all for now folks! Now I'm off to finish my 2,500 word report (required here in PA), print out some schoolwork, do some chores and enjoy this beautiful day.

5 comments:

Judy Kay said...

Meghan, that afghan is beautiful! I have always loved to crochet also, my mom taught me when I was around 11 and I've loved it ever since. I have some things that I've crocheted through the years, one I crocheted when I was 13! That was 36 years ago! I'll post some pics on my blog if you'd like to see them. I have to say that your crocheting looks a lot more professional than mine ever did!
Thanks for sharing sweetie!
Mrs. Y

Ella said...

I have been wondering how you have been lately. It seems like we've been out of touch!

Good for you. I can't crochet period.

Jolyn said...

Megan,
I really love your afagan, what a beautiful job you did. hummm I'm thinking of hot pink, lime green, black, and white....I now know someone I could possibly seek to make me something for the bottom of my bed I have been wanting.... We'll have to have a talk when I come over....

see you next sunday.

Michaela said...

Yay! I watched you labor on that afghan for sooooo long! I'm so glad it's done- it's GOREGEOUS. (Now that is an understatement! ;)
Your sides on the purse are very even, and "even" if they weren't, I'de love it anyway! And I do! :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You all are so sweet! :)

Mrs. Y-I would LOOOOVE to see pictures of what you crocheted! I'm sure they're all beautiful!

Jolyn-I miss you all so much! :) Thank you so much and I can't wait till next Sunday!

Michaela-You are so sweet. :) You did witness me making it for a long while, didn't you? LOL :)