Thursday, June 4, 2009

Contentment and.....Borscht!

"If you have not what you desire....you have more than you deserve!" Thomas Watson



Contentment....we had a guest pastor speaking this past Sunday, and we'll be discussing this tonight at our small group. I took tons of notes, and wanted to get my thoughts down. The picture of the peonys above reminded me of contentment.


Recently, I re-read the book "Henry and the Great Society"....especially the end re-cap about simple contentment. The main scripture in the book was 1 Timothy 6:6-8 "For Godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content."


Our main scripture on Sunday was Phillipians 4:11-13. " Not that I complain of want; for I have learned, in whatever state I am in, to be content. I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound; in any and all circumstances I have LEARNED the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and want. I can do ALL things thru Christ who strengthens me."
Here are some of the thoughts I had on contentment.....
~Discontentment comes when we don't have what we desire...ie: health, finances, relationships, possetions....
~I can be content, knowing that I am in God's will for me....and His love, strength, mercy and grace are more than suffiencient for me.
~Self-pity breeds discontent! Self-pity breeds laziness!
~Self-pity breeds depression! Self-pity breeds sin!
~God is not beyond allowing us to walk thru hard times: health issues, financial struggles, weakness...to allow us to turn to Him for strength...yet we KNOW that God is in control...no matter what circumstances we find ourselves in.
~God is the same in plenty and in want.
~How do we do when our dreams and ambitions dont' happen?
~There is no peace in life until we become convinced that our place is His choice.
~I MUST decrease...and He MUST increase!
~Contentment is to be found in our relationship with Him....our strength, our joy, rest and peace are in Him....
~******Do NOT compare myself with anyone else!******
~We will never find contentment in comparing ourselves with others...only in what Jesus has done for us!
~I am blessed....I have so very much more than I deserve!
These are just some of my thoughts and notes from the weekend....but, I'm finding that I have needed frequent reminders this week!
On another note....you're probably wondering why....BORSCHT! Well...in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newspaper, there was a recipe for Borscht from Evgeni Malkin's mother who is from Russia. Since Ronnie is a huge hockey fan, and is proud of the fact that he has some Carpathian-Russian blood in him, I made this recipe for dinner. It was delicious! Here is a picture and the recipe follows....very delicious, frugal and healthy! God bless! ~Sue~

Evgeni Malkin's mother's lucky borscht
Thursday, June 04, 2009
By Bob Batz Jr., Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Red Borscht
Pittsburgh Penguins star Evgeni Malkin loves his parents, Natalia and Vladimir, being here from Magnitogorsk, Russia,to watch him play -- in great part because his mom can cook for him. Just after scoring a hat trick in Game 2 against the Carolina Hurricanes, Malkin told the Toronto Sun that was the key to his success: "Every time before a game, I get great cooking. Great Russian food" (that day, a beef entree with soup).
His mom says (via the translation of Penguins sales account executive George Birman) that this is her son's favorite.
1 pound any kind of meat, cubed (approximately 1 1/2-inches)
3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
8-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 medium beets, peeled and shredded
3 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 teaspoon white sugar, or to taste
3 cloves garlic, minced
6-ounce can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream, for topping
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Fill a large pot halfway with water (about 2 quarts), add the meat and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cover the pot. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Add the cabbage and the can of diced tomatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the beets, and cook until tender. Add the carrots, the white sugar and the raw garlic. Stir in the tomato paste and water until well blended. Add skillet contents to the soup and bring to a boil, cover and turn off the heat. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. Taste, and season with salt, pepper and additional sugar, if desired.
Ladle into serving bowls, and garnish with sour cream and fresh parsley.

2 comments:

Dayna said...

Hi, Sue!

Great post! So timely! I was just emailing someone about my recent lessons in contentment. Thank you for sharing your notes.

By the way, I've never tried Borscht.

The peonies are gorgeous! I've been taking pictures of those that adorn my parents' yard. It's amazing how Daddy has separated the original plant that I recall from my childhood, and now they're located in different spots throughout the yard.

Jamie said...

Just emailed you and decided to check out your blog. Geez, you've been busy! talk to you soon.