Friday, April 3, 2009

The Roots of Endurance....

It is a dark, rainy day in Pittsburgh! We've had such beautiful weather the past few days....couldn't keep the little ones inside, or even Anna in shoes! What fun! They have been playing with friends, running around, climbing trees, playing on the tire swings, at the playground, going for walks....it willbe nice to have a day inside! Yesterday, Ron bought a bicycle off of a friend of ours, so he brought it home, scrubbed it up, put air in the tires and took off for a test ride around the neighborhood....Anna comes into the kitchen where I'm making dinner and says very sadly " Mom...Dad ran away from home on his new bike, and he didn't wear his helmet!"...oh, my goodness, I cracked up! I explained to her that he didn't "run away" and that he would be right back, but that she was right..he should have worn a helmet! I don't know what horrified her more...the thought of him running away or no helmet!

We watched Ty (now 9 months old on Sunday) the past 2 days....he is crawling so fast, pulling to stand on everything, "talking" a mile a minute (like his mom and aunt)...and can fly in his walker.....we enjoy him so much! It's an adjustment having a baby in the house only 2 days a week...but so much fun! He enjoyed being outside, too....he loves the toddler swing we have in the back hanging from one of our trees...he laughs!

Maybe that is why rainy days don't bother me...I know we'll have sunny days again!

I just started reading a book by John Piper called " The Roots of Endurance". Now, I've owned this book for a couple of years now...ever meaning to read it when I "had time"....well....I suppose, God is telling me that the time is now, because I've been so drawn to this book the past few days...I have to force myself to put it down and do my chores! I'm only in the beginning, but wanted to share parts of this thought-provoking book.

"For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Hebrews 10:36

"Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their Faith in Jesus." Revelation 14:12

"Have the full assurance of hope until the end, so that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:11-12

~The Biblical Roots of Endurance~

"I think the main reason endurance returns so often to my mind is a combination of global anxiety, and biblical urgency. We are unsettled by the world. It does not feel safe. It seems fragile and insecure. The 20th century was a sequence of bloody nightmares from which we could not wake up-because we were not asleep. The 21st century has begun with the shattering realization that there is no safe place on earth. Slowly, perhaps, many are wakening to the biblical view that " here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come" ( Hebrews 13:14); that this world does not offer a "kingdom that can't be shaken" (Hebrews 12:28) that we are "sojourners and exiles" (1Peter 2:11) ; that we should " not be surprised at the fiery trials....as though something strange were happening to us" (1 Peter 4:12); that "there will be great earthquakes, and in various places famines and pestilences....and terrors" (Luke 21:11) that "there will come times of difficulty...people will be...abusive...heartless...brutal...treacherous, reckless" (2 Timothy 3:1-4)

This is just a part of the introduction...here is a little more.....

"one way or the other, Christ will bring His church to realize that "in this world you WILL have tribulation" (John 16:33); that " all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted" (2Timothy 3:12); that we are called to "share in the suffering for the gospel by the power of God" (2Timothy 1:8) and "we groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies" (Romans 8:23) ; that "whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Christ sake and the gospel's will save it " (Mark 8:35) and that "through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God" (Acts 14:22.)

If we will not freely take our cross and follow Jesus (Mark8:34) on the Calvary road, it may be thrust upon us. It would be better to hear the warnings now and wake up to biblical reality. Existence in this fallen world will not be pain-free, trouble-free. There will be groaning because of our finitude and fallenness, and many afflictions because of our calling. (Romans 8:23; Psalm 34:19) Frustation is normal, disappointment is normal, sickness is normal. Conflict, persecution, danger, stress...they are all normal. The mind-set that moves away from these moves away from reality and away from Christ."

~ The next part of this chapter talks about biblical endurance. It starts with the question " How can we keep on loving and serving people when life has so much pain and disapointment?" What are the roots of biblical endurance?"

As I read, I'll share my thought here on this subject. I wish I could type out more, but Oh,...the pain my hands are in right now!

If it is sunny where you are right now...enjoy it! Savor it! If it is dark and rainy....enjoy it! Do somthing cozy....make some hot cocoa...read some books....laugh....and thank God for the rain that is watering His earth! Have a blessed day! ~Sue~

5 comments:

Michaela said...

AAh! John Piper?! Morgs and I just discovered his books and were wondering about the book "Roots of Endurance." We actually just ordered a book of his from our library system (surprisingly!) called "Don't Waste your Life." Alex and Brett Harris talked about that particular Piper book in "Do Hard Things." You all have read their book, haven't you?

Anonymous said...

Sue,
Here's a tip that I think will make it easier for you to include quotes from the book without having to type them all out:
Go to http://www.desiringgod.org/media/pdf/books_bre/books_bre.pdf
which is a link to "The Roots of Endurance" online book at the Desiring God website. Many of Piper's books can be read online there for free.

Find what you want to quote there (use the PDF find function), copy it, paste it to your blog, and be sure to give proper credit to where it's from (being a copyrighted book).

Now isn't that easier?

David

Sue said...

Thanks, David...that will surely make it easier...and my hands hurt less! Thanks again! ~Sue~

Morgan said...

I love the new layout!!! It's so summery! It made me so happy when I got on your blog today.
Your reading a book by John Piper? Your going to have to tell me all about it after your done reading it. I recently just ordered a book out of the library by John Piper called "Don't Waste your Life." Michaela and I are really excited to read it.
Another really great book that is completely AWESOME and inspiring is a book called "I Would Die for You". It is one of my favorite books. It is about a young man who is completely on fire for teh Lord. He had so much passion for Christ. It has really inspired me to give every area of my life to Christ and it really challenged me to live every second of my life praising and glorifying God. i think everyone should read this book. It is soooo inspiring/convicting!:)

Erica Melugin said...

Oh that sounds like a great book! 'Endurance' is one of my favorite words... I feel really drawn to read the book! Thanks for sharing!!