Wednesday, April 29, 2009

On Many Things Girly, Feminine, Romantic...and a Bigger Picture

There are so many truly lovely, pretty and sometimes tear-jerking things in literature, movies and music that are strictly feminine and girly. Mostly (with a few RARE exceptions) females just love. Most young ladies have a tender spot in their hearts for a little romance, "sweet" things (and I don't mean candy) or many 'awww moments' found in literature, music or movies. Many of the 'aww moments' for girls are when the girl can't see what a great guy she has and then almost loses him; hurting his feelings in the process. In many of the movies, I feel the most sympathy for the guy who is sort of shy, sweetly innocent but in love with a girl who doesn't really realize that yet. Frank Sinatra's early career roles usually with a few exceptions have him playing a slightly down on his luck with the girls, shy, sweet kind of guy. Especially in the film Young at Heart. Sheesh that's a melancholy Frank for you. I always have to sigh sentimentally in movies or books like that.

When two of my oldest friends, Sara and I were watching Pride and Prejudice in our basement a while ago, we gabbed through about a third of it but then settled down into a cotton- candy-ish-fuzzy-waaay-too-much-sugar-bliss to watch, enjoy and adore Lizzie and Darcy's story. What girl, young lady, woman does not at least enjoy a really great 'love story?' We watched THE proposal scene twice that night. Once with breathless anticipation even though we all had seen it at LEAST, three times. Second, to show dear Mum who hadn't quite grasped why we were all sighing, getting teary-eyed, and squealing. Laney remarked that that whole scene was a (and I loosely quote): "Heart in throat few moments." We all sighed, kind of chuckled/cried, "Yeeaaah." As much as I personally love Pride and Prejudice, I prefer Edward Ferras and Elinor Dashwood's story. But that's because I am more like Elinor, if you haven't seen the button on our sidebar. :)


After reading this lovely article I realized that as fun as many things "girly" or "romantic" are, we should not expect nor our proposals (and/or relationships) to be similar to those in FICTIONAL movies or books. There is nothing wrong with any of these things unless we begin to build up "castles in the air" from watching/reading/listening to many 'romantic' things. We begin to build up not false but not realistic expectations of others, ourselves and the future. In short we don't quite leave it up to the Lord. We try and take it into our own hands with our day dreams and fanciful imaginings. I personally don't want my love story to be written like Lizzie and Darcy's! If I remember correctly, they began not liking each other, then she loathing him, and then POOF! He's walking across a dewy, sun-filled field to propose because he's loved her all this time. Then again, I wouldn't want my love story to be written like Edward and Elinor's. They had to be separated because of a literal previous engagement on his part. As I told a friend in a letter awhile ago, God is the ultimate and perfect author of our life-story. He gives us the desires of our hearts-not mere imaginings or day dreams that we idealize. We should crave and seek the Lord for His will in every area of our lives. We should ask the Lord to give us a deep desire to want His will in our lives, concerning everything, including our love stories. God is the author of the ages; he wrote Ruth and Boaz' story, Mary and Josephs, Rachel and Jacob's. And He already has our's planned out down to the last girly detail that we will remember when in the future, we recall our love story.

2 comments:

Michaela said...

Wonderful post, Meghan. I prefer Mr. Knightley out of all the Austen heroes.
Believe it or not, I'm becoming more of a "girl" in this respect. Laugh all you want. ;)

Morgan said...

Thank you for the post, Meghan! It was really interesting! I am with you on that one...I don't want my "story" to be like ANY romance book!:) Like you said, they are always SO unrealistic!
This doeswn't have anything to do with the post, but my favorite Jane Austen guy is Mr. Bingly! I know, kinda weird!