Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Refining....like an onion!

(Sigh!) What a day! We had two very special family members being checked out by 2 different cardiologists and we were very concerned. ( Praise God, they are both fine!!!) Thru this the phone rang an inordinate amount today, as well as lots of emails that needed addressed....which led me to an interesting conversation with a friend about onions and God's refining process. (thought I would share)

I was happy to hear that I wasn't the only one that it seemed as if God was continually dealing with me over and over about the same sin areas in my life. A couple of years ago, He revealed this picture to me that was very helpful in the 'no condemnation' department about WHY it seems I keep revisiting the same sin issues. It's like an onion. Let's take pride for example. (as it is mine) God has been revealing, little by little layers of prideful behavior in me over the years...and just when I think I've learned a lesson, He strips another layer...revealing a strong 'odor'....a stronger, more deeply seated layer of my sin. Ok....painful, but necessary. Then....another layer...I sometimes wonder when He will get to the core, each layer is stronger. Just like an onion....as you peel an onion, the first layer isn't so bad, but with each one the smell and 'fumes' of the onion get stronger and stronger...then when you chop it up...the tears start flowing because the stench is so strong.....just like my sin.

BUT....if an onion isn't peeled, it isn't very useful. And....the finer that you chop it up, the stronger the flavor....the more useful to improve the flavor of your food. So it is with us....if God doesn't "refine" us....as painful and hard as that may be for us, we aren't very useful to Him...and our lives don't bring glory to Him very much. But...if He is purposefully cutting away the rotten parts, finely chopping our sin....and refining our lives....all the more will we be able to be "salt and light" to those around us, all the more will we be "flavor" in His world....and all the more glory will He receive from our changed, refined lives!!!

To God be all the glory.....forever!!!! May my life continually reflect His refining process at work in me until I'm with Him forever in heaven!

~Sue~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue, what great thoughts, and very timely for me. Thanks for sharing. It's edifying. Our God is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love. Praise Him for His faithfulness to us and His patience with us!