Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Menu Plan Monday...sort of!

Ok...I KNOW it is Tuesday...but better late than never! We had so many leftovers from the party on Sunday and company yesterday...that yesterday was a leftover day! I'm back to trying to culture kefir, and the girls and I are racking our brains for menus including snacks that have the maximum nutrition for the least amount of money...hence, culturing our food and eating healthier! Even Sara, my favorite junk-food junkie, said to me last night " Mum....I can't wait to get back to really healthy, gluten free eating again....I'm sick of feeling sick and tired!"....for that to come from Sara was amazing! God is doing a work on her heart. Seems since Ronnie's surgery, we've all had SOMETHING...either the stomach virus that was going around or now...seems we're fighting off colds and coughs...no one is "sick in bed" sick....just tired, sniffly and coughing a little. Also, since Thanksgiving until recently, we've been eating the "SAD"...standard American diet...even fast food, which we normally don't eat... So....along with our menu, we're trying to make our carrot juice everyday, a kefir smoothy every day, fruit, salads, veggies....I'm getting a lot of cabbage into us....and hopefully, we'll start back on our "green lemonade" again as well. I don't list these things on the menus, because they are 'in-between' meals. The girls and I were talking about canning a lot this summer and fall....we want to make a plan starting with the greens in spring . We're just finishing up the grape jam I made last summer....it was so good this morning on gluten free crepes! Ok....here's the plan for the week! ~Sue~

Tuesday
gluten free crepes with homemade grape jam
leftover seafood salad and spinach dip on beds of romaine and spinach with cucumbers
brown rice/lentil casserole with green beans and steamed carrots

Wednesday
oatmeal, bananas and juice
gluten free pumpkin bread, vanilla yogart, and pineapple
venison steaks, mushrooms, peppers, salad and oven fries

Thursday
cereal, bananas, juice (have to be out the door early!)
cheesy eggs, pototoes, fruit
chicken and vegetables with brown rice pasta

Friday
gluten free blueberry pancakes
gluten free banana bread, yogart and fruit
chicken and rice soup, sweet potato biscuits (gf) and salad

Saturday
oatmeal and fruit
veggie omelets and potatoes
(Maggie's birthday party) at 6pm....have to think of a filling, healthy "appetizer" to take!

~Parties are tough....there is so much wonderful tasting food...most of it very unhealthy for us...but boy, does it take a lot of self-discipline! Wouldn't miss this party for the world, though! Our cousins, John and Kim's little girl Maggie turned 8 on the same day that Ronnie turned 7. Please keep Kim in your prayers! She is on high doses of chemo for a rare autoimmune disease...and after just speaking with her...in spite of the high doses...she is still having a flareup right now. Thank you for your prayers! Have a blessed day! ~Sue~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your menu sounds awesome. We love smoothies around here, but in the winter I tend to rely on hot cereal and soup more often!

From your earlier post- I love Taste of home cookbooks. I have several and have a couple for the girl's hopechests. I seem to be able to convert many of the recipes to healthier versions without too many problems.

I am craving cake like crazy (and I normaly don't like cake at all!) so we have had an unhealthy large dose of cake lately! I figure at least it's all homemade without the chemicals in processed food! I always cling to that idea when I know I'm using too much white flour/ white sugar! :)

Have a good week.
MandyN