*Updated: If you don't feel like reading an insanely long post right now, scroll down and watch a hilarious video by my sister Sara!*
I recently have been re-reading the book "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott. This is a favorite of mine but I hadn't read it for a few years; it is a timeless classic. We have a few study guides and informational books about Little Women and one antique copy. However I dearly 'fancied' a copy for myself and decided to purchase one while out with a friend this past Friday.
My 'Poohbear' and new copy of Little Women
I immediately flipped to my favorite chapters when I spotted it on the shelf:
"Meg Goes to Vanity Fair;"
"Aunt March Settles the Question" and
"The First Wedding."
For those who know me well, they will sigh and say, "Oh, that's so Meghan!" And if you did not read my last post, the fifteen random things about me, one of them was I am sentimental and romantic. I justified my spending money on the book by thinking, "For my hopechest and future home." Which.....isn't entirely true because I do not have a hopechest but I am collecting things for my future home. When Meg goes to 'vanity fair' as Ms. Alcott aptly calls the holiday at the Gardiners, she is tempted by the wealth of her 'friends' and feels very discontent and unhappy with her life. She is then "powdered, and squeezed and frizzled, and made (to) look like a fashion plate." In short, she gives into Satan's wiles and webs of discontentment and also gives into peer pressure. Lately, contentment has been a lesson I have been learning. Reading of the four March sisters' trials and scrapes, has prompted me to relate them to my own life. I love books where you can relate to a character in the story! I find I am much like Meg (big surprise!) in her domestic tendencies, quiet, motherly and lady-like nature. *Ahem!* But most especially her tendencies towards discontentment, comparing her family and home to others and vanity. In my faults I find I am like almost all of the March sisters. I need to learn to tame my tongue and be patient as Jo did. I need to think of others more than myself and to not be shy, as Beth did. My own dear "Marmee" has shown me the error of my ways and has encouraged and exhorted me to do better in my sin areas-as Mrs. March did in the novel. I am so thankful for my wonderful mother!
God's faithfulness is displayed through sometimes the simplest things...He reveals my heart through reading a favorite book, listening to a certain song, talking with my 'Mum....' He is so good!
On a lighter note, I also found that my varying interests go along with each March girl.
~I cannot wait to be a homemaker, I love to embroider and crochet....as Meg did
~I love to write! I love to think up plots and subplots in my head and talk my poor family's ears off about my novels.....as Jo did
~I love piano! And I do still love my dolls.....as Beth did
~I enjoy sketching occasionally.....though I tend to be a perfectionist and take way too much time on my sketches and drawings.....as Amy did
While I'm on the subject of Little Women, I can't NOT mention the three movie adaptions!
Little Women, 1933
Starring (off the top of my head): Katharine Hepburn (Jo), Joan Bennet (Amy), Edna Mae Oliver (Aunt March), Frances Dee (Meg) and Spring Byington (Marmee). These are the better known actresses that are in the film. This film is very similar to the book but, with all film adaptions of great novels, leaves alot out of the movie. Katharine Hepburn is very funny as Jo but in my opinion, isn't quite the right type to play the tomboyish and 'romping' Jo March.
Little Women, 1949
Starring: Janet Leigh (Meg), June Allyson (Jo), Margaret O'Brien (Beth), Elizabeth Taylor (Amy...yes, blond) Mary Astor (Marmee), Leon Ames (Father March).......AND (as if this wasn't a superb cast already!) PETER LAWFORD as Laurie!!!!!!! I love Peter Lawford! He was perfect for the role of Laurie, in my opinion, anyway. This one, in mine and Mum's opinions, is the best adaptation to the book. June Allyson is perfectly delightful as Jo! Four people out of the entire cast were all together for the first time in Meet Me In St. Louis playing family members! Odd coincedence. :) This is my favorite version because I love everyone who is in it! And, (my partiality is showing again!) it was made by MGM.
Little Women, 1994
Starring: Winona Ryder (Jo), Susan Sarandon (Marmee), Trini Alvarado (Meg), Kirsten Dunst (Amy), Claire Danes (Beth) and Christian Bale (Laurie).
This is a wonderful adaptation as well. It is probably the closest to the book and the most dramatic. The second version was the most lighthearted and fun, the first was, well, the first. But this one was the most serious one but it was very enjoyable. Winona Ryder made a great Jo and her acting job was very well done. Claire Danes played Beth the best, in my opinion. She did a really great job doing the very sad (not to mention hard) dying scenes. Yes I know....morbid! But she did do a wonderful job on a rather hard scene to do. Christian Bale was really good as Laurie-very charismatic and a wonderful acting job.....Its hard to decide between him and Peter Lawford......nah, Peter Lawford's much better looking. :)
Have any of you ever read and/or watched Little Women? What character(s) is/are your favorite? A favorite part or chapter of yours?
1 comment:
Don't laugh at me; I know I'm sooo late at posting! I love "Little Women" too. Meg definetely reminds me of you Meghan!!! Luv ya! - Michaela
Post a Comment