Saturday, December 27, 2008

Growing Up with Dolls



Growing up is wonderful. Getting new responsibilities (whether ya like'em or not!) and being able to do new things is great. But one downfall of growing up: saying goodbye to old friends. Now I don't mean humans; I mean stuffed animals and/or dolls. Above are my dolls from L to R:Top row: Elizabeth, Kathleen, Violet, Felicity. Bottom row: Hannah and Kelly.


I got my first 'real' doll (Kelly) when I was five years old. I received Hannah as a birthday present when I turned six (I needed a playmate for Kelly). I took a break from doll collecting until I was nine years old, when my mom purchased an AG Felicity doll off of eBay. I literally counted down the days until she arrived! Then the next Christmas I got Felicity's best friend Elizabeth from my grandma. I can still remember opening the wrapping paper and seeing an AG box the exact size of a doll. Throwing the top aside, I screamed in pleasure when I pulled her out. Then I took another break for a year, then (out of my own money) bought two ALOF (A Life Of Faith) dolls: Kathleen and Violet. I have doted on these girls for hours on end, have collected furniture, and whole wardrobes that would rival a dress shop. So what is the problem, you say? I'll tell you: losing interest. Yes, I feel terrible and am ashamed to admit that these will be the last pictures of my dolls before they head to a new life up, tucked snuggly away in a box, in our attic.

For all you doll-lovers who still play with them, I say: wonderful. Among all the 'Bratz' dolls and even Barbie dolls, young innocent girls are thinking it's okay to flash their midriff to the world (as if we cared to see it!) or to have boyfrieds at age nine. Classic 18 inch dolls are the key to little girl's innocence because they can be cute and have nice, modest clothes, but without the leggy, pouty lipped, big-chested dolls that are out there today.So I say, "Hurrah!" to dolls, keep on preserving innocence one prairie bonnet at a time!


3 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, Sara! You without your "children" will be so strange...they are all such a part of you...and each one has their own personalities...PLEASE finish the books that you are writing about each one...what a priceless gift to pass on to your daughters and nieces someday! It's hard for me, too, Sara for you to be growing up...you've always been a joy to me and now you are growing up to be my friend, too! I love you! I'll miss your "girls" too! Love, Mum

Ella said...

Sara, you make me quite envious about the Life of Faith dolls. If I were younger, I would want one of those. But since I am eighteen.....I am not.

I have Samantha and she still sits on my shelf, though I hardly play with her. I just change her clothes every few months. It transports me back to the "good ol' days" But there is a time for everything!

Anonymous said...

Sara, You made cry me reading how you have lost interest in your dolls. I do know they will always be your best friends in your memory. You then made me laugh reading the prairie bonnet comment...you are such an endearing young lady! Love, Grammy