Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thrifty Thursdays....

I love this idea! Today is Thrifty Thursday over at Saved By Love Creations blog...and since I so enjoy the creativity and challenge of simple, beautiful frugality, I thought I would join in this weekly blog hop.

Since I am using my pressure cookers 3 times today, that is what immediately came to mind for thrifty cooking today!

For lunch, I pressure cooked potato soup...made more nutritious by leaving the skins on for fiber and nutrients, homemade chicken broth, lots of garlic...and done in 40 minutes. Tender chunks of potatoes....and using much less energy by using the stove for a fraction of the time.

For dinner tonight, I will cook brown basmati rice in one pressure cooker and pepper steak with tons of mushrooms and peppers, onions and garlic in another. Being able to use inexpensive cuts of meat and have them just melt in your mouth and stretch to feed our family is such a blessing to us!

There are many books on pressure cooking out there, especially by my favorite pressure cooking expert, Lorna Sass. Also, in the new issue of Hobby Farm Home magazine that I mentioned yesterday, they have a huge article on pressure cooking....from the history of it, to safety issue and delicious recipes. Just another way to be creatively thrifty! ~Sue~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Sue, don't forget my website. FREE pressure cooker recipes... can't get thriftier than that!

Happy Pressure cooking!

hip pressure cooking
making pressure cookers hip again, one recipe at a time!