Thursday, May 6, 2010

One small change for May...


~I've always loved hanging laundry outside on a clothesline...maybe it has something to do with the memories I have of helping my mom and grandmother...maybe it's the combination of the sun on my face, the breeze and the wonderful, fresh smell....and maybe I like to think I'm living a little bit of a simple life...teaching my children a little bit of the old ways...so those skills are not only not lost, but are appreciated....slowing life down a bit.

~At our old home, I had 3 long clotheslines outside and taught my oldest daughters how to help me hang out the wash. They loved it as much as I did...just sharing the work and talking while we did it. But, when we moved to the suburbs 4 years ago, I had no clothesline....and as it seemed almost no one hung laundry outside anymore, my husband was hesitant to put a clothesline in. Now....(just in time for Mother's day), he (along with help from my 8 year old son) built me a beautiful clothesline with 4 long line....over 80 feet of drying space! I am so excited!

~ Even though it seems that I am getting well, so very slowly...I'll take it slow tomorrow and enjoy working and resting in the fresh air and sunshine with my family. So tonight, I'll get some laundry sorted and ready to enjoy my clothesline tomorrow and teach my little ones the joys of fresh, linedried laundry....and enjoying the work in the old ways. This will be my "one small change" for May.

So tomorrow...I'll post pictures of one of my most precious mother's day gifts...and the joys of teaching my little ones the old-fashioned way of doing some jobs and spending time with my family.

What is one small change you can do this month? ~Sue~

No comments: