I've felt convicted for a long time, to be a better steward of what the Lord has blessed me with....whether it is to be a better wife, mother, a better steward of my time, our home, our earth....and then I found this blog: http://1smallchangeblog.blogspot.com/ (you can get to it from my sidebar as well) What wonderful ideas and resources I've gleaned from this site! So, from time to time, I will be posting things that our family is doing....one small change at a time.One change that we've been making is a better use of our time. We've all been trying to stay off of the computer as much as possible...still reading and sending emails, and of course....writing/blogging....but setting short blocks of time for this. We appreciate technology for the advantage of keeping in touch and making it easier to grow relationships....but we also still value "snail mail"...and avidly write letters and cards to friends and family.
We have been reading more books, playing more games....going outside! (finally!) We've also tried to cut down on dvd watching....now that the winter is finally over and so is the whooping cough as well. But we've also instituted a rule that when we do all sit down to watch a dvd, we must be doing something productive...not just staring at the television set. For the girls and I it usually involves yarn...crocheting or knitting....sometimes a little embroidery, too. It is a little trickier, I am finding, for my little ones. So...the rule is: puzzles, Legos, coloring,drawing, banana grams....while we watch and discuss the dvd. Yes, we are still sitting and watching the t.v., but we're discussing it and being productive at the same time.
I would welcome any suggestions in this area to help my little ones still enjoy the dvd (whether it be pleasure or teaching) and still keep those busy hands busy! I recently read an article that knitting/crocheting works both sides of the brain at the same time as well building fine motor skills, hand/eye coordination and for some children....keeping their hands busy while learning actually helps them retain what they are hearing. As we are a very auditory family, this made sense to me. So....please, send your suggestions our way! Just one small change that we are making in our home lately. Have a blessed weekend! ~Sue~
1 comment:
You have such a lovely blog! My boys seem to like making lap books with our lessons.
God Bless
Post a Comment