Saturday, January 2, 2010

Simply grateful....

I have been feeling so very blessed these past few days! There have been some 'challenges', some tears, and a lot of talking going on....talking with the Lord (A LOT!), with my wonderful husband, my sweet (growing up so fast!) daughters, and my precious little ones....especially, a very, very special and important conversation with my son today. It has amazed us all, I think, what staying home, and having no other commitments except 'home life', these past 3 days has done for us....we've been talking about it a lot and realizing how precious this time is to all of us...talking about what OUR family values...and what outside commitments are important to all of us and why. We're also seeing that all of us are 'homebodies', function (and physically feel so much better!) and just how much we can get done around here ...not just work, but productive pursuits as well, when we limit our activities and company! Having SOMETHING every day is just not what the Lord has for us! Again, the Lord is revealing His will for our family in different areas...and reminding us to (again) simplify, and follow His will....not caring what anyone else or the world says we should be doing. (sigh....seems as if I need reminding of this often...how easy it is for my focus to be distracted from the simplicity of the Lords priorities for me! Seems I've fallen into the trap of the worlds lures and satan's lies, too often lately...I am so grateful that He forgives me, sets me back on the path He has set for me...and then strengthens me to follow it!)
Sara took Ronnie and Anna outside to sled in the snow today...and it was so cold that they were back in after only 20 minutes...I wish Sara had a ski mask, too! Right now, it is -3 with the windchill...and staying about the same tomorrow...my poor husband will be out all night driving a truck in this arctic freeze! Lots of planning and "nesting" going on inside, though! What a great big sister!
A part of the nesting was a huge pot of turkey broth simmering all day! I am so blessed to have such wonderful people who care about me....everyone who knows me knows that I collect "bones" for soup...so if they don't use them, they give them to us! Last Sunday, I came home from church to 3 ziplock bags in my front door...2 turkey carcasses and one ham bone from my next door neighbor...into the freezer they went to be pulled out for just such a day as this! My sister had given me a huge ham bone the week before, as did my step-mom....so we had ham & navy bean soup made...and still have 2 bones in the freezer! I froze lots of containers of the broth for future use, and made the rest into turkey soup with....gluten free dumplings! I was so happy they turned out! Oh, my goodness, was this good!!!

In addition to getting a jump on my laundry mountain (thanks to Meghan & Sara) and having the whole house be relatively clean all at the same time, I was able to get together what we will be studying for the rest of the year....books we will be using, unit studies for the little ones on temperature and weather, Colonial and Revolutionary time period books and unit studies..and tonight, figured out how many more weeks of school we have and how many chapters of a very cool, Christian history program we will need to do a week to cover what I want to cover. I love when God plans it all out and then reveals it to me! I was also able to get back in touch with a dear friend from a long time ago who lives in Florida. We talked on the phone for almost an hour this afternoon...and it was just like we picked up where we left off...and it had been 7 years since we had last talked! It was such a blessing! Now, I'm off to plan a Sunday school lesson for tomorrow while Ronnie and Anna play Wii...(never thought I would like Wii as much as I am!)...Sara catches up with a girlfriend, and Meghan gets warm in a nice, hot shower.....so no matter what the weather brings, we are basking in the warmth of God's love and the many blessings He is sending our way! May you all have a very blessed Sabbath tomorrow! ~Sue~

1 comment:

Judy Kay said...

Blessings to your sweet family, God is just so good isn't He?
I'm glad you have some good family time, it is so wonderful!
Love the pics of Sara, Ronnie and Anna, except of course you can only see Sara....so cute!
I love your blog and that you all share your thoughts and life, it's certainly a blessing to Katie and I.
In Him,
Judy