I cannot believe I am still awake...but, when you can't sleep....
I was reflecting on the day...I was feeling badly early this afternoon...didn't get as much accomplished as I had planned by then...had a huge pot of ham and bean soup on the stove that needed finished...tons of laundry that wasn't even sorted, let alone started...and I was feeling sorry for myself a bit.
To make a long story short...the 'degenerative disc disease' in my neck has now progressed to bone spurring...which is causing me to have terrible pain in my neck and up the back of my head most of the day...so I was headed to the chiropractor....BUT....I was so behind on my duties of the day that I felt guilty for leaving. After the chiropractor told me there wasn't much more he could do to ease the pain and I needed to go to a pain clinic (IF my insurance would cover it)...I felt even more down. Then...my dear daughter called me....
While Meghan was finishing the soup (straining, pureeing, chopping and sauteeing), Sara & Anna made a game out of sorting the MOUNTAIN of laundry that I was backed up on....and on the way home, I was able to reflect and count my blessings. I had felt bad about asking the girls to not only watch Ronnie & Anna, but to do these jobs (MY jobs) too. But, I realized what good experience it is for them to learn these things...to learn, too, how to 'multi-task'...and to serve their family out of a desire to help and relieve some of my burden.
I thank God for blessing me with these children! And , I am so very grateful for all the hard work my girls do! I am grateful for my little ones, who bring laughter and the joy & magic of little children into our everyday lives! I am very grateful for a husband of 20 years who still loves me and thinks I am special...and who works so hard for our family! The Lord has truly blessed us!
And... I am counting my blessings that after tomorrow night...I have NOTHING on my calender until Monday! LOL We have plenty of goodies for New Years Eve, my pork and sauerkraut are here ready to fill the house with good smells on New Years Day...I even found rubbermaid totes on clearance for $3.40 each to pack away our Christmas things until next year...which will protect them from the mice that got into them for the first time this year. (yuck!) We have plenty of firewood for the fireplace and lots of ingredients to make hot cocoa with as well...since it looks like we will also be getting more snow!
I'll close with the song running thru my head right now..." if you are worried and you can't sleep...just count your blessings instead of sheep...and you'll fall asleep...counting your blessings!" (how I love the sound of Bing Crosby's voice!) Praying that everyone gets a restful nights sleep! ~Sue~
2 comments:
I really dislike times like these but look how u changed it around and counted ur blessings. Dear friend it is wonderful that the children help you out with out complaining all the time, yes I know there are days just like we have that they just don't want to, But like you said there is nothing wrong with them sorting and throwing in a load of clothing and switching them out... Oh the ham and bean soup sounds delish...now take your next several days and relax and enjoy the simple times when we can..Love you dear friend.
Blessings,
Jolyn
Dearest Sue, I so hope you are able to go to the pain clinic and that there is something that they can do for you. Your girls are compassionate and it is good for them to put that compassion into constructive uses. Also, I remind myself that although I am the "homemaker", all that dirty laundry is not MINE! lol I, too, feel guilty for asking the boys to do thing, especially since it is termed "woman's work", but when Chuck's dad and stepmother were over they were discussing how spoiled the other grandchildren are because nothing is ever required of them...how my boys are different. Your girls can be proud that they are lumps sitting around taking up space, but that they are actually needed and their work is oh so much more valued! Love to you!
Stephanie
Post a Comment