~Remember-the root word of humble and human is the same: humus; earth. We are dust. We are created...it is God who made us and not we ourselves.~
Madeleine L'Engle
Madeleine L'Engle
Humility...being humble. This is my 'quote of the day' from a flip calender that Meghan got for me last year...I love this, and it sits right on the windowsill where I can see it, thru out my day.
This quote reminded me of part of what our pastor preached on last Sunday...and what our small group talked about last night. Humility....God's grace. We are no better than anyone else...and lower than most. We were reading in Luke 14 about the banquet...and one of the questions that our pastor asked was "who will you invite"? Even something as basic as inviting people to your home...will you only invite family? Other christians? Or will you go and open your hearts to friendships with non-believers...not necessarily to 'hammer' them with the gospel...but to gently show Christ' love to them...let them see and feel His love in action...thru you. It may be sacrificially...it may be a stretch for you to 'step out of your comfort zone'...but, think about it....who did Jesus befriend, serve and love? The sinners...the lost, the ill, the lonely, the outcasts....today, it could be the homeless, the drug addicts...the sarcastic, angry people....the people lost in 'worldliness'...loving the things of this world. I've really been thinking about this this week...who can I...who can we as a family reach out in friendship and Christ' love to befriend and serve? I think for us....it spreads to our extended family...and spirals outward to neighbors, friends...but we want it to extend even further.
I was talking to a friend last night , and one of the things that came up was going to a bar...sounds funny for me, but after talking to her, we could really make friends with some people who need to know Jesus' love and serve them with His care....just one example that would put ME out of my comfort zone...and today I ran into acquaintances from Ron and my dating days...20-something years ago...and they asked if we would be at the bar next Saturday to hear another friends band play...I haven't gone yet, but will pray about this, with the new insight that the Lord has given me....these people know we are Christians, they know we don't drink....but by being friends, being kind and meeting them where they are...maybe the Lord could minister thru us....show His love. I can't help the phrase echoing thru my mind lately...."but for God's grace....that would be me"....ONLY thru His grace.
So....who can YOU reach out to? Food for thought......~Sue~
This quote reminded me of part of what our pastor preached on last Sunday...and what our small group talked about last night. Humility....God's grace. We are no better than anyone else...and lower than most. We were reading in Luke 14 about the banquet...and one of the questions that our pastor asked was "who will you invite"? Even something as basic as inviting people to your home...will you only invite family? Other christians? Or will you go and open your hearts to friendships with non-believers...not necessarily to 'hammer' them with the gospel...but to gently show Christ' love to them...let them see and feel His love in action...thru you. It may be sacrificially...it may be a stretch for you to 'step out of your comfort zone'...but, think about it....who did Jesus befriend, serve and love? The sinners...the lost, the ill, the lonely, the outcasts....today, it could be the homeless, the drug addicts...the sarcastic, angry people....the people lost in 'worldliness'...loving the things of this world. I've really been thinking about this this week...who can I...who can we as a family reach out in friendship and Christ' love to befriend and serve? I think for us....it spreads to our extended family...and spirals outward to neighbors, friends...but we want it to extend even further.
I was talking to a friend last night , and one of the things that came up was going to a bar...sounds funny for me, but after talking to her, we could really make friends with some people who need to know Jesus' love and serve them with His care....just one example that would put ME out of my comfort zone...and today I ran into acquaintances from Ron and my dating days...20-something years ago...and they asked if we would be at the bar next Saturday to hear another friends band play...I haven't gone yet, but will pray about this, with the new insight that the Lord has given me....these people know we are Christians, they know we don't drink....but by being friends, being kind and meeting them where they are...maybe the Lord could minister thru us....show His love. I can't help the phrase echoing thru my mind lately...."but for God's grace....that would be me"....ONLY thru His grace.
So....who can YOU reach out to? Food for thought......~Sue~
No comments:
Post a Comment