Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chicken Bucket Chicken...a 70's tradition continues...

I think our family lives a unique lifestyle compared to the average family these days...in many different ways. One way, is that we are surrounded by lots of family...immediate and extended...and we get together frequently. Today, we continued a tradition that started in the 1970's....when my mother got an electric chicken fryer/pressure cooker and started making "chicken bucket chicken"...and I always requested this for my birthday. So, today, we made the 1 hour drive east, picked up my niece and headed to my mom's house! (sigh...)today, she passed the torch to me...and I learned how to make this treat. Below, you will see my beautiful (but wacky) mother holding up the booklet for her fryer. (anyone remember those Pepsodent commercials?)

We used thighs, legs and wings...so here is the chicken seasoned, and dredged in cornstarch...to make it gluten free, we can use only cornstarch and/or rice flour seasoned with season salt and pepper.
Now....my mom told me all the 'secrets' that she has learned over the years...but here is a batch frying up golden brown....for 3 minutes, then you put the lid on and pressure fry them for 10 more minutes, release the steam, carefully lift the lid...and gingerly take the hot chicken out to keep warm in the oven....usually we do a batch of potatoes in here, too...so good and crispy, but today it was....



corn on the cob! Sweet and juicy...didn't even need potatoes! We had my mother's famous (to us) coleslaw as well.


Here is the finished product...golden and crispy! One of my sisters came over for dinner with us, tomorrow I'll see my other sister, then we'll meet up again for a picnic on Saturday with my Dad and Step-mom....where my sister will take Sara over night to spend some time with her cousin, Tina. Never a dull moment around here!
(Huge sigh....) This is my requested birthday cake every year...and this year it is my last as there is NO WAY to make this gluten free. It is a pistachio cake and the frosting is heavy whipping cream and pistachio pudding...it is green, rich, moist, sweet and creamy...and not to be duplicated. It WAS really good, as usual. The rest is for Ron to finish.
Well...another year, another batch of 'chicken bucket chicken'! (Jolyn (who remembers this from our childhood years) and Dayna (my highly foodie friend)....when you come to Pittsburgh, I promise to make it for you!) Goodnight and God bless! ~Sue~

4 comments:

Jolyn said...

Oh my, my mouth is watering and the key board is all wet from drull..How very YUMMY this is.Look what I'm missing..How fun that would have been to be there with all you today...What sweet memories I have from those wonderful days..Now I have to go to bed dreaming of chicken bucket chicken....
LOve you and thanks for the visual

Patti said...

Looks every bit as good as what the ol' colonel makes!! Will you make it for me when I come (or move) to Pittsburgh?

Blessings,
Patti

Morgan said...

Haha! My seventeen year old cousin from NC lOVES fried chicken and is always talking about it! It does look really good - it looks exactly like KFC's, and I'm sure it tastes better!

Dayna said...

I love that you used the word "gingerly" to describe how to remove the chicken from the bucket. What a great word! :-)

That cake looks very tempting. I'm holding you to your promise (unless you have another friend who is D-a-y-n-a).

Miss ya!