Friday, February 20, 2009

Hospitality and eternal value....

~This evening....I have been listening to A LOT of giggling, out-loud laughing...lots of gabbing....and more giggling! Ron and I have been enjoying it.

Meghan and Sara have had two very good friends over for dinner and a movie. The 4 girls opened up the pull-out couch downstairs, and are watching 'Pride and Prejudice'. They came up a little while ago for 'intermission'...which consisted of making their own 'decaff lattes' and then they decided to add icecream sundaes to go with them. Can you all say "sugar high"?!

I love, love, love having my children's friends over! I love having Ronnie's little friends here...and someday, Anna's as well. I love hearing them share their thoughts, I love hearing them laugh and enjoy themselves. I love offering them hospitality where (I hope) their friends know that they will always be welcomed...and their company enjoyed. ( I made the girls, whom I've know since they were both little, to promise that even when they are grown and my girls don't live here anymore, that they will still pop in and visit "Mrs. G"....or I wouldn't give them any icecream! LOL Just kidding!)

When we first moved into this house 3 1/2 years ago, Ron and I prayed that it would be a home of hospitality...that everyone would feel welcome here, that whoever might need it, would always have a meal, a bed if needed, and people who were genuinely glad to see them....and we have people here quite frequently. Years ago, when my daughters had a "keepers at home" group....I guess Meghan and Sara were probably 6 and 4 when we started it, we did a meeting on hospitality. One of the things that stuck out to me the most ( and I found out recently that it stuck in others memories as well) was that biblical hospitality is not only a command, but is supposed to focus on the other person...NOT on how clean your home is, or how tired you are, or if you only have soup and bread to offer (which we had tonight) instead of steak.....we should go out of our way to make them feel welcome and special.

For years, I was mortified if someone stopped over unexpectedly and the house was messy or I didn't have a full meal....or even if I just wasn't "in the mood" for company....I had a very close friendship that was very hurt by my attitude. My attitude worsened in direct proportion to my fibromylagia getting worse. Then, at the Keeper's meeting, I was teaching the lesson on hospitality and in my preparation, God clearly showed me that focusing on myself or the state of my home, was NOT God honoring OR showing biblical hospitality. As I taught the group of girls this lesson...it was a lesson that has stuck with me all these years.

Now...thru the fibro getting worse, having 2 more children, moving, and various other interesting scenarios....I've learned to value the people in my life....not the things. Would I like my home to be spotless? Sure! Is it likely to happen anytime in the near future...not likely....and that is alright. Focusing on people, not things, having a warm home ( sometimes messy) instead of a sterile showplace is what is important to me now. Relationships have eternal value....making memories with my family, welcoming family and my children's friends into our home has eternal value...and teaches my children by example. I know that my mom always welcomed our friends into our home and always had snacks or dinner for them...and I know that my friends loved my mom and the example that was set for me.

So come on over and visit, we would love to have you! And, most likely, as I did when my friend Linda stopped over today, I will move some books and stuffed animals and sit down to chat for a little while. You may have to step over the Lego creations, move past the dollhouse, and be careful not to squoosh Anna's favorite stuffed animals ( they are ALL her favorites!)...at the table, some homeschool papers and books may have to be moved...but we'll be so happy to have you here! I hope my children learn by example that PEOPLE have eternal value, not things...including houses. Home really IS where the heart is! God bless! ~Sue~

5 comments:

Abigail and Lydia said...

I love hearing your post's, they are always so good.
Lydia

sarah elaine said...

I wish I could have come!

--Sarah

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come over for some of your hospitality!!! Especially since I *eyed* your beet kvass. I've been "into" Fallon's work for about 4 years and have yet to "buck up" and try some of the fermented drinks and sauerkraut. *sigh* But I suspect you could "show" me...which is what I need.

I must hunt someone down i my group to do just that..thanks for the [indirect] encouragement.
Joy,
Karen
karenferguson@compuserve.com

Jamie said...

Love your post. Remind me of it when I start complaining of peeling paint!

Patti said...

I'd love to come for a visit...and so would Gabrielle. Maybe one day, Lord willing, it WILL happen. Wouldn't that be a delight?!

Love,
Patti