"A true friend shares your heart, your dreams and your faith-" Unknown.
Today was so much fun! While Ronnie and Anna saw a movie with our grandparents, Dad dropped Sara and I off at Michaela and Morgan's house. Our families have been friends for almost ten years. :) Sara and I have been especially close with Michaela and Morgan-who are, like us, the oldest and second-oldest children/daughters in their household. :)
Sara and Me
Michaela and Morgan
It all started in Keeper's at Home, a monthly mother-daughter Bible study run by Mum and our friend Mrs. Mckee. It was held in Pleasant Hills at a small church right next to the library. There were many moms and daughters who attended and to this day most of us are all still friends.
Morgan and Sara
To my memory, the first time I met Michaela was when we were studying the 'Friendship' chapter in our Keeper's at Home books. To mix things up a little bit, Mum decided to 'assign' each girl to sit and talk to another girl who they really hadn't met yet. I had initially wanted to sit and talk with my oldest friend, Alaina (so I wouldn't have to get out of my comfort zone) but since we were such good friends, Mum had me sit next to Michaela. I'm so glad she did!!!!! We have a picture, somewhere, of Michaela and I sitting there and talking. :) We both had the same hairdo. That infamous late nineties bowl-cut. :) I was incredibly shy when I was younger and still am sort of shy around new people today. Michaela and I, after sitting there for a few awkward minutes, began talking. About (what else!?) books we enjoyed, movies, etc. She brought up Sound of Music and I went, "OH! I LOVE that movie!" I told her my favorite character was Lisle and my favorite part was the 'Sixteen, Going on Seventeen' song. I really haven't changed much have I? :)
Michaela, in a little book she made me called, "The Fun/Friendship Files of Meghan and Michaela," had a slightly different version to how we met: We were in VBS class at the little church next to the library. (the same where Keeper's was held) The older group was so crowded full that Morgan and I got put in the younger group. On the other side! It turns out we were sitting right next to Sara. I don't remember who said, "Hi" first, but soon we were all chattering in quiet whispers. I remember Sara was telling me about you and even pointed you out. Being the unobservant 7 year old, I couldn't spot you, but pretended to politely. After classes we went home and told Mom all about Sara. (I still hadn't spoke to you!) Then, lo and behold, that next day after classes, our Moms were talking! I believe your mom invited Mom to some kind of Fish meeting, but I'm not sure. It was at your old house, though! When we arrived, I was so shy tomeet you, since I had only known Sara. Then your mom pointed you out; you had on a blue smock and were painting a picture on a pastic easel. I can remember the scene vividly. However, after the first "Hi's" I can't clearly remember what happened next. I just know that it was one of those friendships that just clicked.
It certainly did!
To sum it all up...the rest is history! Since then, we've been pen-pals and for about three-four years now, we've been saving each other's letters. :) Today, Michaela and I looked through my old letters and laughed uproariously about my many 'worries' and 'obsessions.' What made me want to cry was when after I asked jokingly, "How did you ever put up with my silly ramblings about High School Musical and my 'youth group woes'?" She just smiled her beautifully dazzling smile and said, "Meghan! You're my friend! I don't have to put up with you!"
Today, when we got together, we exchanged Christmas gifts. Albeit belatedly. Sara got an adorable picture and picture frame with a picture of her and Morgan inside of it. Morgan decopauged it herself and it looks wonderful! There will be a post by Sara a little later about her and Morg's adventure. :) Hee hee!!
Michaela's Christmas gift to me was a beautiful writing binder. She made it and designed it to suit all my writing needs. :) It was specially made for books and stories I write. I told her all about a plan for a series of books and sent her all the information about each girl, her life, time-period, etc. Unbeknownst to me Michaela used this information for the binder cover. Each book is going to be mainly about one young woman who has struggles and unique trials in a unique time period. And they are all going to be related. Each woman will have a daughter and then the next book will be about that daughter, etc. I'll let the pictures speak for the beautiful binder:
The beeee-U-tiful cover.
A wonderful surprise on the back! :)
The really cool character outlines Michaela put in the binder for me to write about any new characters in my stories. :)
A lovely 'character sketches' and notes. I am FOREVER losing my jotted notes or outlines about my characters so this is SO helpful. :)

A list of all the books in my series with the main character, ages, time period, etc.
A list of all the books in my series with the main character, ages, time period, etc.
Michaela is one of my dearest friends. I think it's safe to say that next to my family, she's my closest friend. I hope to be as good a friend to her as she is to me. She is such a wonderful person, sister-in-Christ, encourager and friend.
Love you always, Michaela!
7 comments:
Aww Meghan! You're blog post made me get all teary eyed (and I'm not like that very much, you know ;) You have been such a wonderful friend throughout the years too! I am so blessed to have such wonderful, godly friends who I can learn from and grow with, and I mean this from the very bottom of my heart! I love you Meghan and I always will!
-Michaela
Sometimes when I read your blog, I get to take a trip down Memory Lane. This was one of those times. You talked about meeting at the church right next to the post office. Now, when I lived there, it was called Grace Baptist Church, and it was on the opposite corner as the library. I used to meet the school bus (for high school) in the parking lot of that church.
And, of course, I spent countless hours at the library, and I still remember the name of the librarian from when I was a little girl. My kids even know her name, because I've mentioned her to them countless times.
Also, you are VERY blessed to have such a dear, like-minded friend as Michaela. May she be a life-long friend.
Love,
Mrs. G.
Michaela-love you too! :) I had such a great time with you yesterday...I had to write about it! :)
Mrs G-as I was writing the post I wanted to mention where everything was because I knew you'd picture it in your mind. :) We probably passed your old house when we dropped Ronnie and Anna off at my grandfather's house. :)
Friends are some of the dearest blessings from the Lord in the world. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability, as you do, to get together with my friends (since all of them are back East.) But I know that I can count on them to be there, to pray for me, to challenge me.....and one day, Lord willing, we will get to DO things together!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's yet to exchange gifts with you guys =]
that binder is AMAZING. how thoughtful and personal!
Ella-we can talk on the phone together. :) And if ya'll ever come out and visit we can watch old movies together, go to antique shops. :) And of course I'll always be there for you. :)
Author-we have to get together soon. :) As soon as we're all well! Now poor Mum has a cold. :( When things settle down. :)
Hey Meghan! Sorry for commenting twice but I just had to tell you something that happened tonight. As you know, we are had Arianna's birthday tonight and I wore my *ahem* dee-lightful pair of slipper socks. Everyone kept asking me if I made them. (My reply: Of course I did! ;) JK) When I told my nanny who made them, she asked," Isn't Meghan the same girl who made you that beautiful bag for your birthday?" "YES!" I just wanted to say thank you again for the wonderful slipper socks- I always think of you! (And i really don't take crdit for them! :) Love Ya! - Michaela
Post a Comment