Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Simple blessings...






The sign above is on the wall above my rocking chair...and is a wonderful, visual reminder of God's simple blessings...and to count them daily.

I had mentioned in a previous post that the Lord has been leading me on a journey to contentment, gratefulness and simplicity...and I believe, health as well.( my journey towards natural health is ongoing and will be the subject of many future posts, I'm sure!)

Below are some of the books that the Lord 'dropped into my lap', so to speak, I feel, to teach me and inspire me to true, simple, grateful, creative living...naturally. Thru much prayer, study, more prayer and discussion with my husband and children...we have been led to simplify our lives...and continue to do so in so many areas. The humbling lessons that He is teaching us sometimes are hard...and sometimes challenging, but always beneficial and filled with blessings.

A friend recently mentioned New Year resolutions...or not making them, and it led me to think about a journal entry from January 2007...the Lord put on my heart, little by little, that I needed to make some changes...in my thinking, what I valued, and in our home. I read a blog post by Julie over at Seeking the Old Paths, and she mentioned the book 'Henry and the Great Society" by H.L. Roush, Sr...and how it changed her life. Well... I ordered it, and it changed my life as well. I actually read it out loud to my children and my older daughters and I discussed it and what the Lord was trying to show us for our family. The basic premise is this: Henry and his wife, inherited a small family farm, had 2 children and lived very simply...without technology or progress...they lived just like their parents and grandparents did. Once a paved road came thru, then electric lines were put up and they got electricity...and a car. Then the book goes on from there, clearly showing how each supposedly 'little' decision to move forward technilogically affected their family life....their marriage...and ultimately, what it did to Henry. Deeply convicting book. Which led me to another book: "Better Off" by Eric Brende. This MIT grad student and his new bride decide to live "off the grid" among a community of people similar to the Amish. They had no electricity, no technology or automobil for one year....and how they adapted and what their experiences taught them...and from there, the Lord kept putting more and more books and articles into my path...to live simply, gratefully and naturally.

Because we are a one income family of 6, and between income going down and prices going up...( like everyone else) frugality is called for. I had been studying frugality for years...from the 'Tightwad Gazette" series of books to studying the Great Depression during our homeschooling and collecting lots of cookbooks and stories from that era...which I still find fascinating...now the Lord started showing me 'creative frugality' and doing it joyfully. I consider it a challenge to save money, be creative and to do it in a healthy manner for my family. That is when I discovered the 'Frugal Luxuries' books from Tracey McBride...what creative, inspirational books! They take the approach from during the Great Depression years to use what you have, be creative and make your home lovely, warm and homey...on a budget!

Just a year ago, I discovered 'MaryJane's Farm'. These magazines are now bi-monthly and I look forward anxiously to when they come. MaryJane Butters is an organic farm in Idaho who is resurrecting 'Farmgirl' charm, frugality and creativity...all with a focus on organic, natural living. She has also published 3 books, 2 of which I own and share here. Reading her magazines and books inspires me to simplify...contentedly and creatively. To appreciate the wonderful creation that our Creator gave us to enjoy...and to share it with my children.

Her latest magazine arrived today...on a dark, grey, cold, wet day in Pittsburgh...complete with freezing rain. After having my son awake until 1:45am vomiting, then waking up at 5am and not being able to go back to sleep, the new magazine was especially welcome today! Just reading natural recipes, not just for food but for lipbalm and headaches, the health benefits of honey, as well as the importance of bees to our Earth, wonderful pictures and articles on homemade sourdough bread and the care & feeding of the "mother"...I was refreshed, inspired and comforted on this grey day...I highly recommend, if you are able, to get a copy of 'MaryJane's Farm Magazine'...and/or check out her website for even more inspiration and information at www.MaryJanesFarm.org.

Wow! This wasn't supposed to be this long, but I guess the Lord wanted me to share all of this with you...and to encourage you to simple, natural, grateful living....His way for your family. May you be abundantly blessed by Him! ~Sue~

2 comments:

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Dear Sue...I saw the title of your blog "Simple Blessings" and had to take a peek! Imagine how surprised (and honored) I was to see my own two books beautifully displayed and kindly spoken about. Of course, I had to stop and say a huge "Thank You" for the nice mention and to also tell you how much I enjoyed your other reviews as well! I have visited Farm Girl Jane's site (and love it) but haven't seen/read her books or magazines, but I will definitely put them on my "I Want" list! Thank you again for the good words and kind thoughts. God Bless.
Warmly,
Tracey

Sue said...

You are very welcome, Tracey! Ever since I started reading your books, I've been blessed by them...I think my favorite is by seasons...I pull that one out each month! I know you love the MaryJane's Farm magazines and books...true,frugal, old-fashioned and natural inspiration! I'm so glad you stopped by! God bless you! ~Sue~