Monday, January 26, 2009

Menu plan Monday!

I'm finally posting this menu plan on time! LOL We have a particularly busy week this week, so I'm glad I was able to plan this ahead of time...nice, too, to know what to make on the days when we have obligations in the evenings. Here's this weeks menus!

Monday
Hot millet with apples and cinnamon
gluten free pizza, cucumbers
chili, cornbread and salad

Tuesday
gluten free pancakes with blueberry syrup
chicken and rice soup
gluten free veggie lasagna and gluten free parmesean breadsticks

Wednesday
Veggie omelets and potatoes
taco salads
deer chops, sweet/sour red cabbage, brown rice

Thursday
cereal and bananas (out the door early)
gluten free macaroni and cheese, salad
chicken and GF dumplings, green beans

Friday
GF pancakes with strawberry syrup
veggie omelets, potatoes
minestrone soup, cheddar garlic GF biscuits

Saturday
cereal, bananas ( out the door early again!)
GF banana nut bread, pineapple
GF philly cheesesteak pizza
(we have my sisters birthday party!)

Super Bowl Sunday! (Go Steelers!)
Oatmeal and fruit
'Good Sunday' soup
GF pizza and salad
parmesean popcorn (for the big game!)

I just wanted to mention something for a moment. While trying to save money, and eat healthy...like I mentioned before, we are trying to culture a lot of food...drinking kefir smoothies everyday and juicing. Along with that, we usually only used stevia, pure maple syrup and/or raw honey for sweetening. Well...after going to Costco on Friday, we discovered that pure maple syrup there went from 1/2 gallon at around $18 to only 1 quart for the same price...we couldn't justify it. But...as homemade GF pancakes are a staple here for breakfasts ( and to put peanutbutter and jam on for sandwiches) I was stumped as to what we could do. After looking thru some old 'Great Depression' cookbooks, I realized that I could make fruit syrups to put on without any sugar! Aldi's (my favorite store) sells bags of frozen strawberries that have no sugar...simply strawberries. If I thaw them, puree them and thicken with some water and cornstarch....I'll have a syrup....maybe a little stevia to sweeten. Well...the kids were so excited! ANd...I'll do the same with blueberries. So much cheaper...and actually healthier! Just thought I'd mention that. Have a blessed day!~Sue~

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Sue, explain to me how to do gluten free, and what are the benefits? Is it just using a different kind of flour?

Stephanie

Sue said...

Gluten free food has no wheat, barley, rye or spelt...gluten is a protein found in these grains. Instead, we use brown or white rice flour, tapioca or cornstarch...and for us, we feel better eating this way. I'd be happy to explain further, if you like. ~sue~

Anonymous said...

We had to give up the maple syrup from Costco too because of the price. I make one that uses butter, honey, and buttermilk(of all things) cooked up on the stove for a little while. It's pretty good. We use it on dutch babies- yum!